cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to catalog a B2D removable drive

troy_2
Level 3
Hi,

I have a removable B2D disk that I back up data to.  Now every 6 months or so, I ship this removable drive to our DR server in a different state, and attempt to restore the contents off of this drive to the local server.  Now, since upgrading to Backup Exec 11d at both locations, I am unable to catalog any of the *.BKF files on the B2D drive.  I get the following errors:

Final error: 0xe00084b7 - A backup set was created which contains no data. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Job Errors

Catalog- ServerA\domain
Null backupset.  Possible reason:

Cataloging SW Compressed ArcServe Tape. Backupexec does not support this operation

Here are some facts:

Both servers have different names, but are running the same version of Backup Exec (11d, sp3).
I have ticked off 'Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations"
Use storage media-based catalogs is not being used
I am not using Arcserve at all on anything.

Is it even possible to catalog media that was backed up on one server and restored on a different server with a different name (for DR purposes)?

Thank you,
Mooge

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello

Yes it is possible to catalog media on a different server. Perform an inventory and then proceed with catalog media.

Since you have already unchecked 'Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations" & "Use storage media-based catalogs "

Try creating a new catalogs folder, refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/333095

pkh
   VIP    Certified
On your original site, can you restore files from the B2D folder that you shipped to the DR site?

troy_2
Level 3
Yes, I can restore data from this same drive on the original backup server.

Thanks,
Mooge

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using any hardware encryption or compression at the original backup server?  Is the tape drives at both sites the same make and model?

Have you tried a small backup at the DR site and then trying to restore the files at the original site?