cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to clear free space on disk storage QNAP NAS

ctpgh
Level 2

Our backups keep growing and with no way to seemingly free space on the NAS.
Please see screenshots for Storage device's information

This NAS has 10.6TB of storage, but no matter what I do, I am unable to clear free space.  Below are the things I've tried (ultimately unsuccessfully):

1. Tried "Expiring" backup sets manually from Storage and also have verified that I checked checkbox in BE Setttings > Storage > Data Management to "Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets."

2. Tried runnig manual Inventory and Catalog job on the Storage device

3. Tried going into each server's backup job and dropped retention period from 4 weeks to 2 weeks on Full backups.

I'd previously used BE 2012 at the client, and we always had "Delete" option for backup sets, but I do not see this option in v20.  After "Deleting" on that setup, free space on that other NAS was recouped in pretty short order.

This install is NFR licensing for a non-profit, so no Veritas vendor support available, unfortunately.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
- John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Turns out I was barking up the wrong tree...

Began to examine the NAS itself and troubleshoot there, looking for Recycle Bin.

Sure enough, I found that there was a feature enabled called "Network Recycle Bin" that once emptied, BE started to report back the lower usage that I was hoping for.

Hope this saves someone else the headaches of troubleshooting this as a BE issue.

-John

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ctpgh
Level 2

Finding that as I delete backup sets, I'm able to get the "Backup data written" value to drop, but the "Used capacity" value in BE stays stuck at 9.04TB (see attached screenshot).

Any ideas on how to truly recoup this space?
(Backup queue currently on hold to avoid totally filling the device.)

Thanks,

- John

Turns out I was barking up the wrong tree...

Began to examine the NAS itself and troubleshoot there, looking for Recycle Bin.

Sure enough, I found that there was a feature enabled called "Network Recycle Bin" that once emptied, BE started to report back the lower usage that I was hoping for.

Hope this saves someone else the headaches of troubleshooting this as a BE issue.

-John