Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to overwrite media

itech_partner
Level 2
Partner

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

since some days i am not able to overwrite any media in my media pool anymore. It worked fine for weeks and suddenly (i think after installing all available updates and patches) it does not work anymore.

Alle tapes in my media pool are now full and unable to attach more data.

My job and as well my BackupExec Settings allow overwriting.

Mediaset Settings: protection for overwriting: 1 day, attachment limitless.

Settings in Extras, options, Mediamanagement: overwriting protection:none.

overwriting options: overwrite media of pool before overwriting media from temp pool.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong suddenly?

Thanks in advance, Carsten

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you drag one of the tape to scratch pool and run a backup job to check if overwrites the tape.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How you are getting notified about this?

Means are your jobs failing because of this? Any alerts stating insert overwritable media?

Regards...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Settings in Extras, options, Mediamanagement: overwriting protection:none.

This should be set to FULL or PARTIAL.  I've seen some really strange things happen when set to NONE

Are the jobs that are failiing Overwrite or Append jobs? 

Are you writing to Tape or Disk?  (Disk jobs should always be overwrite)

If you go to the media tab, and right click/properties on one of the volumes, what is the overwrite date?

itech_partner
Level 2
Partner

HI, thanks for your reply.

@Kiran: It only says "put in an overwritable media". Nothing else.

Will do some testing as AmoZeroCool told me and get back with the results latest on Monday.

Thanks, Carsten

itech_partner
Level 2
Partner

Hi Ken,

thanks as well.

Will check alll you asked and get back with the results latest on Monady.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) you state 1 Day overwrite protection - are you intending to use that same media for the same job the next night, if yes then you will need lesss than a day OPP as you have to take into account the time the job takes to run.

2) you state appendable 'attachment' is infinite/limitless, however when a job fills a tape it will ask for a second tape to overwrite. This scenario is likely where append jobs slowly fill up the tape but will also be seen where your data exceeds the capacity of the tape.

3) Every time you append to the tape the overwrite protection will move back to start at the end of each append job (which will affect when the media becomes overwriteable.)