cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to restore DFS files.

Harry2
Level 2

I am unable to restore files which are backed up in tape drives using backupexec 12.5. The files i am trying to restore is from DFS (distributed file system). The restore job runs succesfully but it makes only 3 or 4 folders and there is no files inside the folder. But if we check the tape all files are located int he folders. I have used a folder redirection method when restoring files. The job does not give any error and the byte count is 55,574 Byte. I have tried files not in dfs and they are restored with out any issue. this issue is only for dfs files. can anyone help me in this. i use HP LTO2 tape deck.

thanks

Harry

9 REPLIES 9

samueljn
Level 5
Employee Accredited

- Have you selected the files from the Shadow copy components - User data?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you backup DFS data, you backup the shadows copy component and not the actual folders.  To restore, you restore from the shadows copy component.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH85354

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You need to make the restore and backup selection under shadowcopy components --USer data. IF you have backed up shadow copy component then you can still restore it .

Harry2
Level 2

Yes i have selected the shadow copy components and i have done a folder redirection. i am attaching the log also.

Harry2
Level 2

previously i was able to restore files without any issue. but now i am unable to restore files. i am unable to check why its not restoring file since there is no error in log also.

thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

In job log I only see this in red

Restoring data to \\IN-S-BAK01\Shadow?Copy?Components\IN-S-BAK01\D:\Restore.

So it would be best to check events in event viewer during the time of restore to understand of what is happening

Also try to restore some data first to local drive of Media server using redirect option and check if that works or not ,instead of restoring all data

Thanks

Harry2
Level 2

In the log i have marked the line in red inorder to emphasis i am giving a redirection.

I have checked the logs of the server there is no error in it. There is information log which says that Volume shadow copy service started, running and then stopped.

now i am really clue less regarding this issue.

the funny part is i am able to restore files which are not in DFS. so there is no issue in the tape drive.

thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Have you tried restoring some file instead of restoring all files. If you have tried that and that too is failing please open a case with symantec to investigate it further

Thanks

at0mic
Level 2

i have the same problem. Any advice? I have tried restoring single files from multiple tapes on the DFSR machine. same problem keeps happening. no files , few folders, and no errors.