cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update BackupExec 2010 to BackupExec 2015

CarstenS
Level 2

Hello,

we plan to update our BackupExec 2010 R3 to the actuall Version BackUp Exec 2015.

Are there suggestions how we make the update without any problems?

Should the server agents updated? Need the Server where the Agent is installed a reboot after the update?

Thanks for you help.

regards

CarstenS

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Follow the below steps

1) Check BE15 Hardware and Software compatibitlity list to make sure your exitsing setup is compatiable with BE15

2) Make sure you have BE15 license handy

3) Stop BE services and make a copy of Data and Catalogs folder located in the BE installation directory

4) Run BE15 setup to upgrade BE2010 R3 to BE15

5) Once upgrade is done run live update to install all the latest updates

6) Push updates on the remote server to update Remote Agents

7) As a best practice restart remote server after pushing updates

BGKilian
Level 2

We are in the process of updating from 2010 R3 SP4 to 15, as well.  With that in mind, I have some more questions:

1. How long does this in-place upgrade take per media server? Maybe an hour each?

2. We have three media servers, one CASO and two regular servers.  I assume the CASO gets updated first, followed by the two regular ones. Is this correct?

3. When the upgrade is performed, are all the existing jobs/policies converted automatically, or is there a significant amount of cleanup that has to be done?

4. What is the past experience with this upgrade? Has it been successful in virtually all cases?

5. If the update fails, is the fall-back a reinstall of the 2010 R3 SP4 server with a restore of the Data and Catalog folders?

6. Do the remote agents have to be updated immediately, or can they wait until we perform our monthly Microsoft updates (a couple of weeks later)?

Thanks.

BgK

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1. How long does this in-place upgrade take per media server? Maybe an hour each?

Shouldn't take more then 1 hour.

2. We have three media servers, one CASO and two regular servers.  I assume the CASO gets updated first, followed by the two regular ones. Is this correct?

Upgrade CASO server then MMS server followed by Remote Agents

3. When the upgrade is performed, are all the existing jobs/policies converted automatically, or is there a significant amount of cleanup that has to be done?

Upgrade process takes care of all the existing jobs/policies and other settings.

4. What is the past experience with this upgrade? Has it been successful in virtually all cases?

In most cases upgrade is seemless but it also depends on our environment.

5. If the update fails, is the fall-back a reinstall of the 2010 R3 SP4 server with a restore of the Data and Catalog folders?

Yes. So please make of copy of Data and Catalogs folder before proceeding with the upgrade

6. Do the remote agents have to be updated immediately, or can they wait until we perform our monthly Microsoft updates (a couple of weeks later)?

Its recommended to use Media server and Remote Agent of the same version. So plan to update at earliest.

NetworkCompany
Level 4

I would suggest not upgrading at all.  I would keep the old backup server in place and create a new modern backup server with 2015

you will have problems