cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgading from be2012 to be2014 story.

Pieter_Timmerma
Level 2
Partner

Goodday, I thought it is a good idea to wait before sbs be2014 sp1 is out before upgrading.. But the sentence 100% faster backups made me curious what would happen on my server !

I downloaded the binaries, license codes (still not an easy process, but slightly better than in the past)

run install, installed the license keys, and ended in an endless loop dedup option no longer supported, no way of getting out there.

phoned support, they told me to not install the licenses, install trial, and after that the licenses. took me 30 minutes on the phone with support to find this out..

ok, all went good after that

run liveupdate, this tell me that sp1 is soon ready for download, but i have it already installed !

and now the first backup.... eagerly waiting...

scenario is single sbs server -. b2d full backup 350gb

with be2012 is took 6 hours 44 minutes, with be2014 it took 6 hours and 42 minutes...

now I am lost....

where is the 100% faster backup promise ?

why is the install procedure ending in a loop ?

why tell liveupdate that sp1 is soon ready for download while I have it already ?

Thanks,

Pieter Timmerman

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the message you're getting about SP1 is simply an announcement. You won't need to download it...what is the fine print about the 100% faster backups?

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

All the literature I saw said "UP TO 100% faster", not "100% faster for everybody".  So I assume that your environment was not impacted by whatever they changed.

Service packs are frequently available for manual download before they are pushed out via LiveUpdate.  I assume this gives them time to get it to critical customers first.  Or to make sure no new field issues show up.

edit: added the "not" in the second line.

Pieter_Timmerma
Level 2
Partner

after all the marketing stuff you are hoping to achieve something, not 0%

th system would me more smart, if liveupdate checks update which version it has and base the the announcements on that... ;)

Pieter_Timmerma
Level 2
Partner

h system would me more smart, if liveupdate checks update which version it has and base the the announcements on that... ;-).

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Maybe, and maybe that's worth putting in the Ideas section, but it is just an announcement. I got it when running the latest version of the BE 2010 R3 SP and just ignored it.

It goes away eventually.

Thanks!