cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading SQL server 2008 express to SQL server 2008 R2 express

resolver101
Level 4

I'm am upgrading to SQL server 2008 R2 Express due to it having a larger size limit. Is this compatable with Symatec backup exec 2010 r3 and if so is there any precausions i should take? 

Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE 2010 R3 stops at SQL Express 2005 SP3 as a database on which to install the BEDB.

BE 2012 has supprot for SQL Express 2008 R2.

You can verify the first statement on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Pg 48 & 49 mentions that SQL 2008 (SP1 & SP2) & SQL 2008 R2 (including SP1) is supported as a database repository in BE 2010 R2 & BE 2010 R3

CraigV

Thanks for the clarification...totally misread the query! Luckily it doesn't happen often wink

resolver101
Level 4

Apparently i cant un-install the current version of SQL express due to windows needing it but i can install the R2 version along side it.  If I install SQL server 2008 R2 Express along side, should i move the database to the newer version? 

CraigV

...if it can co-exist, and you want to make use of better features in it, then go for it. Just grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders, and specifically the bedb.bak file!

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Yeah, you can do that. Use this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37752

resolver101
Level 4

Will i need the better features of SQL server for backup exec? I never view the data out of the Backup Exec anyway so I cant see it making any difference to me.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

SQL Server is not really required to host the BE database it can stay on a SQL Express version in the most complex of installations and work well. Also it is recommended to keep Be on its own seperate instance as any unsupported updates/changes done to you SQL Server instance can leave the Be in a not working state. To avoid changes to be made I would surely go with a SQL Express instance dedicated to BE (cheaper this way as well)

CraigV

...is your BEDB anywhere near the maximum size that SQL Express 2005 can handle? If not, then don't upgrade to SQL Express 2008 R2.

VJware
Level 6

Usually, the only time when a different edition of SQL is required when the BEDB goes over 4GB limit (again which happens when using a large CASO-MMS or SSO setups) Else as suggested, the default SQL instance should be just fine.

CraigV

...I suspect that the OP meant SQL Express as this has been what was mentioned all along. May have been a typo!

Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Oh thanks! I think you are right. I was merely responding to "Will i need the better features of SQL server for backup exec?"

Edit - But all in all it is better to keep BE on a seperate instance as I have seen updates being applied to SQL instances by different products (Yes even SEP) can leave BE down.