cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v11 7170 w/all hf causing VSS problems

Kent_Wyatt
Level 3
I upgraded to v11 7170 a few weeks ago now and have a recurring issue on a Windows 2003 Storage Server R2 SP2 fulling patched and all current VSS versions.

NTBackup runs just fine and the VSS writers all show fine from a vssadmin list writers command.

BE v11 inconsistently runs and fails on the system state and the shadow copy with the following error:

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS Snapshot error. Out of disk space, or could not find an NTFS volume while creating the snapshot. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) requires an NTFS volume with at least 100 MB of free space for each volume that will be snapped.
First, there is 500G of space available, second I've move the shadow copy to other drives with no effect, third I changed the max size to no limit with no effect.

After BE runs, a vssadmin list writers shows the writers as failed with an error state of no error. If I reboot the server, BE runs fine for 1 day then same issue. Also, if I do not reboot the server and run NTBackup with the writers in the state BE leaves them, NT Backup completes just fine and the writers are released back to a normal state. BE then runs 1 day fine and the next day same issue. I can reproduce this over and over and over.

I installed a demo of another backup product and ran it a few times against this server without any issues, vss writers OK when it completes, re-ran BE a few times and the cycle above can be reproduced.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks

0 REPLIES 0