cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v12.0 to 12.5 Licensing and Upgrade Query

Ben_Tan_2
Level 3
I am currently running Backup Exec for Windows v12.0
With about 20 servers getting backed up.

First question.
As the current version is 12.5 if I buy any new licences do I buy the 12.5 version and the key will work in 12.0? Or do I buy the v12.0 licence?

Second Question.
If/When I upgrade to 12.5 do the new agents NEED to be pushed out? Or will the servers continue to back up.
The reason for this is, 20 servers to push agents out to might not be possible in one hit.
Unless the servers don't require a reboot for the agent install/upgrade?

Thankyou
8 REPLIES 8

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Unless untill you have purchased Support from Symantec, upgrade version is free.

Regarding agent upgradation, no need to pay for the existing quantity of licenses if your support is not expired.

Yes..... If no. of servers are going to increase (more than 20) then you will need to purchase that much no. of agents with 12.5

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
First answer :

If you purchase BEWS 12.5 license then it can be used with BEWS 12.0.
You dont have to pay for BEWS 12.0 if you have BEWS 12.5.

Second answer:

you can use the BEWS 12.0 agents with BEWS 12.5 server.
Unless there is no problem observed its ok.....

BEWS 12.5 server is complatible with BEWS 12.0 agents.

You can check with SCL

Snapshot of SCL, reference.

imagebrowser image

Any questions more..

Regards
KK

Ned_Adams
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec 12.0 and my maintenance has expired.

Can I still download and use version 12.5  with my same agents?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
may be worth a call to Symantec Licensing.

To the best of my knowledge the uprade from v12.0 to v12.5 is free whether you have maintenance or not  ie v12.0 serials will work with v12.5 code

v11.d to v12.0 or v12.5 would be paid upgrade without annual maintenance

Twixxica_09
Level 3
Employee

If your BUE 12.0 has valid supporrt it means that you are eligible with the free version upgrade. Usually, if you have BUE 12.0 valid support you will b recieving a notification ID for an upgrade. Below are the steps on how to upgarde your product in Licensing Portal:

1. Click the link "Version Upgrade";

2. Enter your Notification ID:

3. Click on "View Upgrades";

4. This page displays the UPG available for the Notification Id you entered. Click on “Upgrade” for the product you want to upgrade;

5. At the bottom of the following page, select the license you want to upgrade then click on “Upgrade”;

6. Confirm the email address to which the License key for the upgrade version will be sent and click on “Complete Registration”;

7. On the Confirmation page click “Get software” to download the upgrade from Fileconnect.

Hope this helps

pkh
   VIP    Certified
V12.0 serials do not work with V12.5. You will have to get a new set of serials.  If you are eligible to download 12.5, then you should be able to get the 12.5 serials.

Hinata_Uzumaki
Level 3
Employee
If you have valid support for your BUE 12.0 by the time we release BUE 12.5 (October 06, 2008), you will have a free of charge upgrade to 12.5.

Regarding your question if BUE 12.5 license keys will work on BUE 12.0, it will.
BUE 12.5 key is backwards compatible to version 12.0 except for Sharepoint agent.

Regarding your second question, I think Tech Experts can better answer that.
Any advise, guys?

In case you have further questions on how to get your upgrades or if you want to check if you are eligible for the upgrade, just call Customer Care.

Ciao!

(--,)

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 RE The second question - You can backup using a 12.5 media server with 12.0 remote agents so that you can do a rolling update - some of your jobs might end up giving an informational alert saying the agent is older but they should still run.

Also unless you somehow forced VSP onto your servers when it is not needed (on Windows 2003) or Have some Windows 2000 servers that need VSP (Note VSP is used by AOFO, but VSS is used when it can be) then you won't need to reboot straight away.

Personal piece of advice however - if you make too many changes to the software on a server without rebooting, when you finally reboot it, if it fails to restart how do you work out which of the changes you made caused the problem. As such I prefer to arrange server reboots not long after major software changes so I can limit the causes if something does go wrong - Note this comment is not specific to Symantec products it applies to any (major) software changes.