cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v9.1 with HP Ultrium-1 getting slower and slower

clever4
Level 3
Hi,

I'm running Veritas Backup Exec v9.1 and using a HP Ultrium-1 tape drive. Over the months BackupExec has been taking longer and longer to backup our network shares. I'm guessing this is the tape drive just general wear and tear, but I'm just wondering if anything else could be an issue. I'm having data rates of about 400Mb/s, but is this normal, or too slow?

Please advise,.

Thanks

Chris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Chris,

That looks in line with the transfer rates of LTO-1.
Number of files, speed of your network, size of files etc can all affect backup speeds, as well as the wear-and-tear you mentioned. That's a likely cause as well.
However, I'd start by rebooting your tape drive and your backup server if you're able too.
Then have a look. THat said, BEWS has better management of speeds when backing up. It might not be a significant increase, but it is known to run faster. If you can upgrade (for you it's going to be a multi-step upgrade), you can look at that at some stage too.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi Chris,

That looks in line with the transfer rates of LTO-1.
Number of files, speed of your network, size of files etc can all affect backup speeds, as well as the wear-and-tear you mentioned. That's a likely cause as well.
However, I'd start by rebooting your tape drive and your backup server if you're able too.
Then have a look. THat said, BEWS has better management of speeds when backing up. It might not be a significant increase, but it is known to run faster. If you can upgrade (for you it's going to be a multi-step upgrade), you can look at that at some stage too.

Laters!

CraigV
Hi Chris,

Come right here?