Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ver 9.1 help needed please

simon_bratt
Level 3
hi

I run backup exec 9.1 (4691)

1. How can i tell which service pack i have installed, i think its sp4 but it doesnt say?

2. i have a licence for the remote agent for 9.1, can it be installed on more than one remote device?

3. How do you install the remote agent :-)?

Thanks if you can help

Mr Eco
6 REPLIES 6

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

1. Does it not say in "help" and "about"?
2. I think you have to have one remote agent license per remote server. Call Symantec Licensing and see what you are entitled to.

3. Click Tools and "Install Remote Agents". A wizard will open. Browse to the machine on the network where you want to install it. Enter appropriate creds and install it. Please note that if you choose to install AOFO (Advanced open file option) you will need to reboot the server after. If you just install the remote agent you shouldn't need a reboot.

Gilly

simon_bratt
Level 3
Thanks Gilly,

1. no it doesnt, mine just says version number 9.1 and the build number, anyone elses show service pack numbers?

2. I shall call them thanks

3. should i choose AOFO? there will be SQL databases that are locked open i expect. When you say reboot the server, do you mean the server with the Backup exec on or the remote device?

thanks again

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Hi Simon,

1. Leave this with me.

2. Ok

3. AOFO is used for Open File Backup. It will not handle SQL! You would need a SQL agent for this or perform Dumps and back up the flat files that are generated. It's the Remote Server that would need a reboot should you install AOFO. I would not recommend using AOFO unless there are essential files being skipped. It can be more hassle then it's worth to be honest!

Gilly

ITGal
Not applicable
If you go to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT and check the version number of the dlls start with becatdrv.dll For example if you go here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286923.htm Scroll down and you can see the version numbers associated with the dll for service pack 5. I am STILL trying to find a simple document that spells out what version number=what service pack but this is the best way I’ve seen so far. I hope this helps, it's so frustrating.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I am STILL trying to find a simple document that spells out what version number=what service pack

There can be multiple SPs for a give version number. 

AFAIK, your approach is the only way.  That is, to select a few DLLs or EXEs from the SP read-me and compare time stamps.

This comes up over and over.  You may want to add it to the "ideas" area of this forum

lyon
Level 5
Hi, 
 A way to find out the service pack number is not available until Backup Exec 11d. The only way you can tell is by Add/remove or looking at the files versions and compare them to the Service Pack or hotfix technotes.

Lyon