cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.vmdk is marked as independent persistent. Ignoring for backup.

BND
Level 3

Please bear with me as I am just starting out on VMware. I have a VMware server running ESXi 4.0.0 (which I did not set up). I am trying to back it up using Backup Exec 2010 r2. I initially had issues setting it up my back up job. I could not add my VMware server because it was not licensed properly. I installed a vShpere 4 Essentials Licence which solved my first issue. Now that I added my VMware server to my backup list, the job fails when it reaches my VMware server. I get the following error:

“V-79-8192-38330 – ‘  ‘.vmdk is marked as independent persistent. Ignoring for backup."

I tried doing a little research on the knowledge base but didn’t find anything pertaining to my issue. Is there a solution to this? Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

This is an issue with the Backup Exec User Interface, no workaround or solution is available at this time. this is mention from the link I have metion below & This is applicable for BE 2010 r2

Please follow the link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143178

If this clear your dout please mark this post as resolved

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi 

Any updates here

Thank You

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Itsmeaffinity's answer might be the correct one - however you need to be aware if your environment is running Independent disks then there is a limitation within VMware regarding this type of disk not being supported by the snapshot process. As they are not supported by VMware and Backup Exe uses the VMWare API we cannot back them up using the VMWare Agent (AVVI) you can however install our remote agent inside the VM and perform a traditional backup of the content of the Independent disk

BND
Level 3

Thank you for the responses. I wasn't aware that this was an ongoing issue. However I do have the agents installed on the two servers installed on vmware and they have been getting backed up for a few weeks now. So in the event of hardware failure, I would just have to reload the VMware ESXi software then reload my two servers from backup?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your update on same & if this resolves the issue please mark the post resolved

Keep Posted

Thank You

BND
Level 3

From my understanding there are three disk modes.

The default allows the disk to be included when a snapshot of a VM is performed.

The other two modes are independant and can either be persistent (all data written to the disk stays on the disk, or non-persistent.  Non-persistent mode disks will revert to their original state upon a reboot of the machine (useful if you are software packaging using a snapshoting mechanism and want to keep a clean machine).

My other question, is there a way to change my disk mode back to “normal mode” so that I can take snap shots? And if I can will the server just revert back to its original state (deleting my two servers)?