Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware alternate restore from BE2010 to BE2012 environment

fairuz821108
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

As subject above, I have few concerns since I'm not able to perform alternate restore on the vmware:

1. Production running BE2010 while DR running BE2012. Can I perform alternate restore since the ver is different? Do I need to perform cataloging/import the image from tape?

2. The production backup using vcenter to backup while the DR use ESX to perform the backup. Since the backup method is different, does the alternate restore is doable at DR site?

3. The restore button/option is blur and I'm not able to hit/click on it, seems is the option is not enable for the ESX machine. How I gonna perform the restore?

Thanks in advance.

Fairuz

2 REPLIES 2

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Production running BE2010 while DR running BE2012. Can I perform alternate restore since the ver is different? Do I need to perform cataloging/import the image from tape?

Yes you could perform an alternate resotore this way. You would need to inventory and catalog the media before you begin.

2. The production backup using vcenter to backup while the DR use ESX to perform the backup. Since the backup method is different, does the alternate restore is doable at DR site?

You would have to use the redirection while performing a restore.

3. The restore button/option is blur and I'm not able to hit/click on it, seems is the option is not enable for the ESX machine. How I gonna perform the restore?

Perform a test backup of any Virtual Machine on the ESX server. Then select the ESX server in the Backup/Restore Tab and the Restore button should be enabled.

fairuz821108
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Jaydeep S,

Thanks for the response. Let me try and I will update the status soonest possible.

TQ