cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to create differential job with 30 days overwrite protection only

arun_akki
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

i am using symentac backup exec 2012. in this i want to create a Differential job in which:

1. data remains only for 30 days.

2. after 30 days. on the 31st day which is actually the 1st day of cycle, data of previous 1st days should be delete.

finally i want only 30 days data and after the 30 days, data overwrite with daily basis.

and please suggest which type of media set i need to be created. 

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using tapes or disks as this makes a huge difference to how we answer this.

arun_akki
Level 2

sorry for that, i am using tapes of Ultrium-4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Arun,

In this case you can create a Media set with Append Period as 30 days and Owerwrite Protection Period as 30 days. So that after 30 days your tape will be ready to be overwritten by next backup job targetted to that Media set.

Also ensure that there is enough space on the tape so that it does not get full before 30 days period.

In the backup job properties you will have to set the option to "Append to tape, overwrite if not appendable"

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Beware that when you append to a tape, the OPP is extended because the OPP is calculated from the end of the last job that writes to the media.  For example, if you overwrite a tape on Day 1 and then append to it on Day 10, then it would only be available for overwriting on Day 40, assuming that your OPP is 30 days.

To successfully implement what you want, you got to take into account whether you are just overwriting your tapes or appending to them.  For a better understanding of OPP and AP, read this document

OPP and AP explanation