cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what product comes with which?

KevinR_DC
Level 3
OK, I'm really confused here -- I was under the impression that BackupExec 12.5 Server also contains Continuous Protection Server.  Is that true or not??

Thanks,
kevin
11 REPLIES 11

teiva-boy
Level 6
 This is true.  Since version 12 it has been included.  Of course you still need remote agents for the client machines to be properly licensed.

KevinR_DC
Level 3
ok, so let me make sure I have the license requirements right --

suppose I have server A, on which all our working data lives. 
Suppose we also have server B, on which we want to run backup exec, and on which we want to store the backups from server A.  (Preferably doing the continuous thing, where serverB maintains a copy of server A's data plus journals of the historical changes to the files on ServerA)

So, I'd need BackupExec on serverB, and a copy of the remote agent that would be installed on Server A, correct?

Thanks,
kevin

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes you will need a remote agent on Serevr A - but depending on if you want to run Continuous Backups or run traditional backups this agent would either be the standard remote agent or the CPS agent and you wil need an agent license (to be added to Server B) either way.

For CPS you will also need a reasonable amount of disk space on Server B as CPS does not write directly to tape. If not needing CPS you can choose between disk or tape based backups (or both with duplication)

KevinR_DC
Level 3
Space isn't a problem -- it'll all be written to lots of disks.  But for continuous backups, i need a CPS agent for serverA *and* a CPS agent for serverB?

Thanks,
kevin

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
OK there are 2 components to an agent
1) The software component - that must be installed on the server being backed up
2) The license component that is install one the server doing the backups (into the serverside components)

As such you will install agent software on server A but enter the serial number/keycode onto server B (into the serverside software that will also need installing.)

KevinR_DC
Level 3
OK, thanks.  I'll see what licences we already have and purchase accordingly.

KevinR_DC
Level 3
next question - I have two products on my invoice here:
SYM BACKUP EXEC SERVER 1.2 WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12MO.  (Part# 14348119)
and the other is
SYMC BACKUP EXEC SERVER 12.5 WIN PER SERVER I/O ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS (Part #14350428)

The first one has a license key, so I assume that's the main app that I install on the main server.  What's the other item? I tried to use the RTSM ID/ SupportID to get a key, but that didn't work.

Thanks,
kevin

teiva-boy
Level 6
 You should ask who you bought it from, what they are.  Descriptions and part numbers are often modified by resellers to fit into their quoting systems or inventory systems.

KevinR_DC
Level 3
OK, i finally bought another agent.  Now, of course, i can't find the Continuous Protection Server download anywhere.  Do you guys hire a team of highly-skilled engineers just to make this process as painful as possible?  I could have written my own backup program faster.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 The download is on fileconnect.symantec.com exactly where you download the BackupExec media from.

It's also available on the trialware site.

KevinR_DC
Level 3
OK, i got that downloaded and installed.  Now I'm getting the dreaded "there must be at least 2 available servers" message.   I've installed CPS on the server that will store the protected data (we'll call that ServerB), and the Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the server that hosts the live data that we'll be protecting (serverA).  Isn't that the correct way to do it?   I'm running the CPS console on ServerB (which is were BackupExec 12.5 is installed) and the CPS console sees ServerB in the "available servers" list, but it doesn't see ServerA.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the BEWS agent on ServerA, but it's still not showing up in the list.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
kevin