cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which tape will be used (BE12.5)

supertramp4
Level 2
Hi, I have a 8 slot autoloader, currently loaded with 4 tapes. The 4 tapes are all associated with a "Weekly" media set. With the next backup due to run on the 14th June, which tape will get used from these 2 ? Tape 1 : Overwrite 13/06/2010 16:06:46 - Append - Infinite Tape 2 : Overwrite 13/06/2010 16:03:30 - Append - Infinite Will it be Tape 2 simply because the overwrite protection ends first ? Also, If I moved Tape 1 to scratch media, would that take a higher priority and then get used ( which is what I want ) many thanks Chris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. That is correct.  The scratch tape would be used first.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The Allocate Date is the one that determines which tape get used first.  Under Tools --> Options ---> Media Management, you can set the Media Overwrite Option.  If this option is set to

Overwrite recycleable media in the targeted media set before ....

Then the tape with the oldest allocate tape get used first.

Overwrite scratch media before overwriting ...

Then the tape iwth the newest allocate date get used first.

This hold true regardless of whether the tape is in the scratch media set or in any other media set.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Tape 2 : Overwrite 13/06/2010 16:03:30 - Append - Infinite. TAPE 2 will be picked up first....

supertramp4
Level 2

Hi pkh,

I think you have pointed me in the right direction, although I'm slightly confused by your description of the media overwrite options. ( Remember this is a robotic library)

In my case the allocated dates are
Tape 1 : Allocated 20/05/2010 16:06:46 , Overwrite 13/06/2010 16:06:46 - Append - Infinite
Tape 2 : Allocated 20/05/2010 16:03:30 , Overwrite 13/06/2010 16:03:30 - Append - Infinite

My requirement is for TAPE 1 to be used, so this is what I propose :
a) Tools -> Options -> media Overwrite options :
Set Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media

b) Move Tape 1 to Scratch set

Since Scratch is searched 1st, and the overwrite protection has expired, then this tape should be used ?

Thanks
Chris

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. That is correct.  The scratch tape would be used first.