cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CloudPoint questions

Bachchan
Level 6

1. Can I deploy cloudpoint on Windows server 2012/2016 os? 2. How it is different from BE & NBU? 3.any limitation to what workloads it can protect?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

1. coreect me if I am not so Cloudpoint is for b/up & restore of Oracle DB whether On Prem or in cloud(Amazon, Azure , Google). Correct?

• Oracle DB can be configured in one of the three clouds.
  • Oracle DB can be configured with any virtual machines/ physical host, But the oracle database is created on disks of which snapshot/restore we support viz HPE 3par & Hitachi HDS.

These above two configs would be working with CloudPoint 1.0 GA.

And It will help customer to protect the application (oracle db) through snapshots. While taking snapshot of oracle application db, we provide two options for pretection level, wherein the options are 

• disk: this means, the application to be protected at disk level, So the snapshot/restore operations would be performed on involved disks of application
  • host: this means, the application to be protected at Host level, So the snapshot/restore operations would be performed on Host of the application.

2. Is their a plan to add more App/DB in the future?

Yes!

We have plan to add more and more application in the future.

The next applications are:

• Cassandra DB
  • mysql DB
  • Amazon RDS
  • MongoDB
  • Microsoft SQL

and the list will go on considering the customer-use cases.

3. How it is licensed? if ORACLE running on Prem or in cloud?

CloudPoint 1.0 is Community Edition (if i'm not wrong)

Installing Oracle in on-prem or cloud is something which is not the part of CloudPoint.

CloudPoint manages the assets that are involved in certain application-DB. The assets are Disks and Hosts.

There is not a single way to have Oracle running on Prem or in Cloud. That depends on how customer is using the Oracle.

To enable CloudPoint to protect Oracle Database, customer/user needs to configure respective plugin, so that CloudPoint discovers, manages assets to provide

• Application Consistent Snapshots
    • Protecting the Oracle DB application at Host as well Disk level, as mentioned above.
  • Restoring Oracle Database
    • Recovery from the snapshot taken for Oracle Database.

I hope, above information does help you and addresses the queries.

Thanks,

Amit

_amit

View solution in original post

Yes, we are planning to add ability to apply policies to assets based on discovered attributes, including disk of VM tags. We are expecting this to be available in our next major release later this year.

-- Ryan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AlexMatts
Level 6
Employee

Hello, @Bachchan –

Thank you for reaching out to the CloudPoint team via the VOX community – @rlefevre, could you please offer your expertise on the matter?

Let's work together to seek an answer!

Kindly – Alexandra Matthiesen, VOX Community Manager

Hello, @Bachchan –

Please find my answer below:

1. Can I deploy cloudpoint on Windows server 2012/2016 os?

• With CloudPoint 1.0, we have following deliverables:
  1.  Docker Ubuntu Image

2. How it is different from BE & NBU?

CloudPoint offers

• Multi-cloud snapshots
  • Snapshot based backup
  • Automated snapshots through Policies
  • Application consistent snapshots
  • Restoring snapshots at disk level for application on three clouds : AWS, GCP & Azure
  • Provides snapshots on Hitachi HDS and HPE 3PAR array.

3.any limitation to what workloads it can protect?

• For Cloudpoint 1.0, the application/workload that we support is "Oracle 12c"By this, we mean - CloudPoint has capability to take Application Consistent Snapshots (Oracle) and provides facility to restore the Oracle Databases using the snapshots that was taken.
  • We have also qualified the presence of Oracle in Cloud-Virtual machines, wherein the cloudpoint's capability to manage Cloud Resources comes in picture, to provide snapshot & restore operation.

Please let us know, whether aforementioned points answers your queries.

_Amit

_amit

Hello – 

@amadgulw, thank you for your quick response to the questions posed by @Bachchan – this is appreciated by the VOX community.

And @Bachchan, please update us upon this thread regarding the helpfulness of these answers.

Kindly – Alexandra Matthiesen, VOX Community Manager

Thanks for your quick response !!!

1. coreect me if I am not so Cloudpoint is for b/up & restore of Oracle DB whether On Prem or in cloud(Amazon, Azure , Google). Correct?

• Oracle DB can be configured in one of the three clouds.
  • Oracle DB can be configured with any virtual machines/ physical host, But the oracle database is created on disks of which snapshot/restore we support viz HPE 3par & Hitachi HDS.

These above two configs would be working with CloudPoint 1.0 GA.

And It will help customer to protect the application (oracle db) through snapshots. While taking snapshot of oracle application db, we provide two options for pretection level, wherein the options are 

• disk: this means, the application to be protected at disk level, So the snapshot/restore operations would be performed on involved disks of application
  • host: this means, the application to be protected at Host level, So the snapshot/restore operations would be performed on Host of the application.

Yes!

We have plan to add more and more application in the future.

The next applications are:

• Cassandra DB
  • mysql DB
  • Amazon RDS
  • MongoDB
  • Microsoft SQL

and the list will go on considering the customer-use cases.

CloudPoint 1.0 is Community Edition (if i'm not wrong)

Installing Oracle in on-prem or cloud is something which is not the part of CloudPoint.

CloudPoint manages the assets that are involved in certain application-DB. The assets are Disks and Hosts.

There is not a single way to have Oracle running on Prem or in Cloud. That depends on how customer is using the Oracle.

To enable CloudPoint to protect Oracle Database, customer/user needs to configure respective plugin, so that CloudPoint discovers, manages assets to provide

• Application Consistent Snapshots
    • Protecting the Oracle DB application at Host as well Disk level, as mentioned above.
  • Restoring Oracle Database
    • Recovery from the snapshot taken for Oracle Database.

I hope, above information does help you and addresses the queries.

Thanks,

Amit

_amit

Thanks Amit !!!

Are there any plans to utilize AWS tags in policies?

Yes, we are planning to add ability to apply policies to assets based on discovered attributes, including disk of VM tags. We are expecting this to be available in our next major release later this year.

-- Ryan