cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it secure?

manatee
Level 6

if we're uploading our data to your cloud, how secure will it be?

if there was a breach, what steps you will take?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rlefevre
Level 2
Employee

Hi,

CloudPoint does not store any application data itself. It discovers metadata about various assets (e.g. hosts, disks, file systems, applications) and uses this information to orchestrate snapshots using the native APIs provided by cloud and array vendors. For example, if you have Oracle running on an EC2 instance in AWS, it will provide a way to quiesce Oracle and snapshot the EBS volumes in AWS that are being used by Oracle. Once the snapshot has been created, no further action is taken by CloudPoint. The data remains in AWS.

Additionally, CloudPoint is deployed by customers in their own data centers/clouds. It is not a SaaS offering hosted in the Veritas cloud.

I hope that answers your question.

Ryan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

amadgulw
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

using cloudPoint, how are you able to move the data ? Also, i'm not sure which cloud you're talking about. Could you please elaborate on your question ?

_Amit

_amit

rlefevre
Level 2
Employee

Hi,

CloudPoint does not store any application data itself. It discovers metadata about various assets (e.g. hosts, disks, file systems, applications) and uses this information to orchestrate snapshots using the native APIs provided by cloud and array vendors. For example, if you have Oracle running on an EC2 instance in AWS, it will provide a way to quiesce Oracle and snapshot the EBS volumes in AWS that are being used by Oracle. Once the snapshot has been created, no further action is taken by CloudPoint. The data remains in AWS.

Additionally, CloudPoint is deployed by customers in their own data centers/clouds. It is not a SaaS offering hosted in the Veritas cloud.

I hope that answers your question.

Ryan

honestly, all those terms you use blurs everything. do you have any diagram to explain it clearly? compare it to NBU, what would be the advantage of it? remember, all those technical terms will not help us explain it to management.

Have you tried out CloudPoint yet? If not, I would highly recommend that you download it here: https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/cloudpoint

Next, it would be useful to understand how you intend to use CloudPoint:

• what kind of applications do you want to protect?
  • what is your target operating environment?
  • what is your level of protection required?
  • how many VM do you want to protect?
  • how much data do you want to protect?
  • which cloud(s) are you using to run your production applications?
  • do you want to protect your on-prem deployment also using CloudPoint?

Any other pertinent details will be useful also. Based on your reply, we can then suggest a schema to get you started.

well before i dedicate time and people to it, we'd like to know what we're getting into first. we are already using NBU on-premise so why change it?