Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any resource which can define static route

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

OS = Could be Windows/Unix/Linux

supposed environment = SFHA/DR (may be 5.x or 6.x)

I have a general question...

A supposed picture below...

(Global Cluster)

Node1 Node2 =================================    Node-DR

LocalHA                                replication                              Single Node

eth0 public                                                              eth0 public

eth1 Heartbeat                                                        eth1 Heartbeat

eth2 Heartbeat                                                       eth2 Heartbeat    

eth3 for replication                                                eth3 for replication

eth4 Global heartbeat                                              eth4 Global heartbeat

(there may be more Ethernets)                                (there may be more Ethernets)

My question is specific with eth3

192.168.2.3 (Virtual IP)

192.168.2.1          192.168.2.2

Bbase IP on Node1 eth3           Base IP on Node2 eth3

When Node1 is Live the Virtual IP(192.168.2.3) will be on Node1 and when Node2 is Live the Virtual IP(192.168.2.3) will be on Node2. My question is I want to restrict eth3 traffic/replication traffic send via eth3 interface (not via eth0 which is configured as default gateway which already plenty of data comming on it). To get this I have to configure a static route with VIrtual IP when this Virtual IP is assigned on Node1 the static route assigned on the Node1 and when VIrtual IP is assigned on Node2 the static route assigned on the Node2 ...This static route make sure that the replication data will be send via eth3. What resource can do this. Any suggesstion on this please.   

4 REPLIES 4

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can just add routes to boths nodes - you can add routes for non-existing IPs on Linux, but I haven't tried on Windows.  No-one will be trying to contact DR replication IP from inactive node, so it won't matter that routes will not work, and if someone tries to access DR replication IP from inactive node at Prod it will fail, the same as it would fail if the route wasn't there.

If you want to add and remove routes you could use postonline and postoffline trigger scripts.

Ideally you should use a different subnet for replication, so you don't need this route.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

What you have said correct but I think did not elaborated my query properly.

suppose replication is configured between 192.168.2.3(Virtual IP) and 192.168.2.4 and Virtual IP is right now at eth3 so the interface will be for Virtual IP is eth3:1

what will be the expected static route command

route add -host DestinationIP netmask x.x.x.x gw x.x.x.x dev eth3:1

Can we run the above command with a virtual interface(eth3:1) ? I dont think ... this is my real query

If we use eth3 instead of eth3:1 in the above command the eth3 will try to make the connection between 192.168.2.1(Primary Site Node1) and the 192.168.2.4(DR Site) . This connection can be made but replication will not be take place/successful as replication is configured between 192.168.2.3(Virtual IP) and 192.168.2.4  (via vradmin command)

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you use eth3 in route command, then replication should still work as eth3:1 is virtual , so replication traffic goes out of physical eth3 interface.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks mike for your kind words. See the below link in which I have mentioned configuration and the problem i am facing

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-v-5-1-327-not-able-establish-replication-between-two-nodes-virtual-ip-address-both-side