cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Cluster Resources from another Server

Michae11
Level 2
Hi All,

We are just moving to Backup Exec 12.5. We have a 2 node Server 2003 Cluster hosting SQL server 2000.

Previously we backed up our Storage Array files (SQL Backups & Documents) using NTBackup, connecting to the Storage array  from the backup server via mapped drives. Backup Exec can't see the mappings so i am assuming mapped drives aren't supported.

Backup Exec is only installed on our backup server, we have licenses for Remote Agents though.

Is it possible to install the remote agents on the 2 cluster node servers so that we can access the shared storage from the Backup Exec Instance on the Backup Server? The manual talks about installing Backup Exec on the actual Cluster Nodes, I don't want to do this as we have a backup server already with Backup Exec Installed on.

I don't want to backup the SQL databases, only the backups that are stored on there and the Document Folders.

Also, if we need to buy an additional addon for Cluster support, can this just be added to the Backup Server or does a copy of Backup Exec have to be installed on to the actual node(s)?

Many Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michae11
Level 2
Worked it all out. Admin manual has big gaps in it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Michae11
Level 2
Worked it all out. Admin manual has big gaps in it.

storminjack
Not applicable
Michael11,

Having a similair problem.  Just upgraded to Backeup Exec 2010.  I can see my cluster but I can only see the shares on the cluster node.  I need to see the physical drives.  Backingup the shares takes forever (slow backup).  Did not have this problem before upgrading to 2010.

Once again I can see the "cluster: but whenI expand the tree I onky see the shares not the drives them selves like R$, S$ etc.