cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can members of a bonded-NIC be configured as VCS LLT links?

xhawk
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Scenario-1:
SFRAC 5.0.1 and above,such as 5.1, 5.1SP1, 6.0, 6.1 ......
HPUX 11.31-0909
Oracle 10.2.0.4 RAC

lan3 and lan4 are bonded to be lan901, which is configured as Oracle RAC heartbeat.

lan3 and lan4 have different MAC address.

I know if the bonded NIC lan901 is configured as a VCS LLT, then the members of lan901, lan3 and lan4, cannot be configured as VCS LLT Links.

But, If the bonded NIC lan901 is NOT configured as a VCS LLT, Can lan3 and lan4 be configured as VCS primary and secondary LLT links?
====================================================
Scenario-2:
SFRAC 
Redhat Linux
Oracle RAC

eth3 and eth4  are bonded to be bond1,which is configured as Oracle RAC heartbeat.

eth3 and eth4 and bond1 have the same MAC address.

Can eth3 and eth4 be configured as VCS primary and secondary LLT links?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need unique IPs for LLT, as LLT over Ethernet uses the MAC address at Layer 2, and does not use the IP.  I am not familiar with NIC bonding in HP-ux, but in Solaris if you use IPMP then you can use the IPMP group to load balance between 2 NICs for IP traffic, and you can use the individual NICs in LLT.  So with HP-ux, if the O/S allows you to access the underlying NICs in a bond, then they should work in LLT, but I don't know if HP-ux bonding masks the underlying interfaces from the O/S so you can only use the bond (like MS windows, where when you create a bond, the underlying NICs are no longer visable).

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

xhawk
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

For  Scenario-2:

The MAC address of a bonded NIC is the same as its bonding members.
The Linux bonding mode =0 or 1, not 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need unique IPs for LLT, as LLT over Ethernet uses the MAC address at Layer 2, and does not use the IP.  I am not familiar with NIC bonding in HP-ux, but in Solaris if you use IPMP then you can use the IPMP group to load balance between 2 NICs for IP traffic, and you can use the individual NICs in LLT.  So with HP-ux, if the O/S allows you to access the underlying NICs in a bond, then they should work in LLT, but I don't know if HP-ux bonding masks the underlying interfaces from the O/S so you can only use the bond (like MS windows, where when you create a bond, the underlying NICs are no longer visable).

Mike