cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check number of node supported by license

Rahim_T
Level 3

Hi all,

I want to know my VCS license support how many nodes. What can I do?

If I want to add more nodes, I should change license on all of the nodes?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your SF/HA version supports keyless installation, but you are supposed to purchase a license within 60 days to be legally compliant.
The software will not stop working though.

PLEASE contact Veritas Customer Care regarding software licensing requirements.

View solution in original post

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is very little proper checking of licensing in SF and VCS.  A given licence key may on paper say it can be used for 1 node or several nodes and I don't believe there is anything in the licence key that tells you how many nodes it is valid for.  So it is up to the administrator to check that they have the right amount of keys and at the right tier as you can also apply a low tier licence to a higher tier server, and the licence utility will not complain.   VOM is supposed to help with this, but this is very limited too as all VOM lets you do is report on what licences you are using so thay you can compare this with you paper copy.  You can put "real" llicences into myveritas.com, and you can run reports in here too, but there is no link between VOM and myveritas.com, so there is a lot of manual work to do to ensure you have the right licences.

Mike

starflyfly
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi, 

From technical level,  

You needn't  give  any new license for add nodes.

With keyless feature, you can do anything as you have enough license.

From law level,  you need follow sales  request.

Here is keyless usage:

# vxkeyless
 vxkeyless 1.24, a keyless licensing solution
Usage:
    vxkeyless help
    vxkeyless displayall
    vxkeyless [OPTION] display
    vxkeyless [OPTION] set NONE
    vxkeyless [OPTION] set product[|,product]

display options:
    -v,  --verbose   display full product descriptions

set options:
    -q,  --quiet     perform quietly assuming yes to any questions asked
 # vxkeyless displayall
Product                  Description
APPLICATIONHA            ApplicationHA
APPLICATIONHA_EVAL       ApplicationHA (EVALUATION only)
DMP                      Dynamic Multipathing Native Support
DMP_EVAL                 Dynamic Multipathing Native Support (EVALUATION only)
SFBASIC                  Storage Foundation Basic Edition
SFBASIC_EVAL             Storage Foundation Basic Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT               SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server 
SFCFSHAENT_EVAL          SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server  (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_GCO           SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO
SFCFSHAENT_GCO_EVAL      SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VFR           SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR
SFCFSHAENT_VFR_EVAL      SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VFR_GCO       SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO
SFCFSHAENT_VFR_GCO_EVAL  SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VR            SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR
SFCFSHAENT_VR_EVAL       SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VR_GCO        SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO
SFCFSHAENT_VR_GCO_EVAL   SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFENT                    Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition
SFENT_EVAL               Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFENT_VFR                Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VFR
SFENT_VFR_EVAL           Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFENT_VR                 Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VR
SFENT_VR_EVAL            Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VR (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT                  SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server 
SFHAENT_EVAL             SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server  (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_GCO              SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO
SFHAENT_GCO_EVAL         SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VFR              SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR 
SFHAENT_VFR_EVAL         SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR  (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VFR_GCO          SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO
SFHAENT_VFR_GCO_EVAL     SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VR               SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR 
SFHAENT_VR_EVAL          SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR  (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VR_GCO           SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO
SFHAENT_VR_GCO_EVAL      SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFHASTD                  SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server 
SFHASTD_EVAL             SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server  (EVALUATION only)
SFHASTD_VFR              SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VFR
SFHASTD_VFR_EVAL         SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFHASTD_VR               SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VR
SFHASTD_VR_EVAL          SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VR (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT                 SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition
SFRACENT_EVAL            SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_GCO             SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with GCO
SFRACENT_GCO_EVAL        SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VFR             SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR
SFRACENT_VFR_EVAL        SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VFR_GCO         SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR & GCO
SFRACENT_VFR_GCO_EVAL    SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VR              SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR
SFRACENT_VR_EVAL         SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VR_GCO          SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR & GCO
SFRACENT_VR_GCO_EVAL     SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFSTD                    Storage Foundation Standard Edition
SFSTD_EVAL               Storage Foundation Standard Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFSTD_VFR                Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VFR
SFSTD_VFR_EVAL           Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFSTD_VR                 Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VR
SFSTD_VR_EVAL            Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE               SF Sybase ASE CE
SFSYBASECE_EVAL          SF Sybase ASE CE (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_GCO           SF Sybase ASE CE GCO
SFSYBASECE_GCO_EVAL      SF Sybase ASE CE GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VFR           SF Sybase ASE CE VFR
SFSYBASECE_VFR_EVAL      SF Sybase ASE CE VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VFR_GCO       SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VFR
SFSYBASECE_VFR_GCO_EVAL  SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VR            SF Sybase ASE CE VR
SFSYBASECE_VR_EVAL       SF Sybase ASE CE VR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VR_GCO        SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VR
SFSYBASECE_VR_GCO_EVAL   SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VR (EVALUATION only)
VCS                      Cluster Server
VCS_EVAL                 Cluster Server (EVALUATION only)
VCS_GCO                  Cluster Server with GCO option
VCS_GCO_EVAL             Cluster Server with GCO option (EVALUATION only)

Marianne
Yes. You can use current license on replacement server. Licenses are no longer locked to hostid.

15 REPLIES 15

Marianne

Have a look at your license key certificate - there will be a Quantity column. 
You need one license per node.

To add more cluster nodes, you need to purchase license keys for each node.
No licensing changes are done on current node(s). You will just add license key on new node(s) when installing the software.

If you are in doubt about your license keys, logon to www.myveritas.com. Click on the Liensing tab. 
Or else select Support -> Customer Support to reach out to Customer Care with your licensing queries.

Rahim_T
Level 3

Rahim_T
Level 3

Thanks for your reply Marianne
Let me explain the  situatuon.

I have two servers and it is for 7 month that they are working together as clusters.
I switched over between them and replication is good.

But the problem is that at the first my company asked for two licenses for each server and then the reseller company gave us one license

and said it will work because the VCS is a related software that at least needs 2 servers for clustering. I agree with this. We used the certificate and it worked.

And now I want to be sure about that.

If you mean by this "Have a look at your license key certificate" to run command "vxlicrep -e", I executed this command and I didn't see anything.

I only have access to server, we don't have any access to sold license document.

So?

Marianne
I am talking about the piece of paper with license keys or the pdf containing your license keys. 7 nodes in a cluster needs 7 licenses. You cannot legally share the same license key between multiple nodes.

Rahim_T
Level 3

ok, ok....

Then, I have two servers and they are working as clusters for seven months.

Recently I configured another server and I changed one of those servers with this new one.

Again without any alarms they worked!

I looked at those piece of paper that you said. on that paper I saw the quantity is 1 !!

I don't want to add any new clusters, I only want to know why there is no alarm!

I think with this new licensing method SPVUs, all of the core on both servers are calculated and because of this there is no alarm.

I don't know. But it is very strange if it works with one license.

I just want to know how does the clustering work.

sudhir_h
Level 4
Employee

What version are you using?

Regards,

Sudhir

Rahim_T
Level 3

The Version i'm using is 6.1 on solaris platform

thanks

Marianne

Your SF/HA version supports keyless installation, but you are supposed to purchase a license within 60 days to be legally compliant.
The software will not stop working though.

PLEASE contact Veritas Customer Care regarding software licensing requirements.

Rahim_T
Level 3

i saw the keyless installation message and when i entered the previous license it got accepted by the software.

i undrestand what you mean but it's working for 7 months and there is no problem. as what you said we had to face problems 5 months ago. i can't undrestand this situation that we didn't face any problem and it's working properly. if you're right so i have found  a very big bug in veritas installation. what do you think about this?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is very little proper checking of licensing in SF and VCS.  A given licence key may on paper say it can be used for 1 node or several nodes and I don't believe there is anything in the licence key that tells you how many nodes it is valid for.  So it is up to the administrator to check that they have the right amount of keys and at the right tier as you can also apply a low tier licence to a higher tier server, and the licence utility will not complain.   VOM is supposed to help with this, but this is very limited too as all VOM lets you do is report on what licences you are using so thay you can compare this with you paper copy.  You can put "real" llicences into myveritas.com, and you can run reports in here too, but there is no link between VOM and myveritas.com, so there is a lot of manual work to do to ensure you have the right licences.

Mike

Rahim_T
Level 3

Thank you so much dear mike

As I undrestood nothing is wrong with my licence key because it's been working properly for a long time !

starflyfly
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi, 

From technical level,  

You needn't  give  any new license for add nodes.

With keyless feature, you can do anything as you have enough license.

From law level,  you need follow sales  request.

Here is keyless usage:

# vxkeyless
 vxkeyless 1.24, a keyless licensing solution
Usage:
    vxkeyless help
    vxkeyless displayall
    vxkeyless [OPTION] display
    vxkeyless [OPTION] set NONE
    vxkeyless [OPTION] set product[|,product]

display options:
    -v,  --verbose   display full product descriptions

set options:
    -q,  --quiet     perform quietly assuming yes to any questions asked
 # vxkeyless displayall
Product                  Description
APPLICATIONHA            ApplicationHA
APPLICATIONHA_EVAL       ApplicationHA (EVALUATION only)
DMP                      Dynamic Multipathing Native Support
DMP_EVAL                 Dynamic Multipathing Native Support (EVALUATION only)
SFBASIC                  Storage Foundation Basic Edition
SFBASIC_EVAL             Storage Foundation Basic Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT               SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server 
SFCFSHAENT_EVAL          SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server  (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_GCO           SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO
SFCFSHAENT_GCO_EVAL      SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VFR           SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR
SFCFSHAENT_VFR_EVAL      SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VFR_GCO       SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO
SFCFSHAENT_VFR_GCO_EVAL  SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VR            SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR
SFCFSHAENT_VR_EVAL       SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR (EVALUATION only)
SFCFSHAENT_VR_GCO        SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO
SFCFSHAENT_VR_GCO_EVAL   SF Cluster File System Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFENT                    Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition
SFENT_EVAL               Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFENT_VFR                Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VFR
SFENT_VFR_EVAL           Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFENT_VR                 Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VR
SFENT_VR_EVAL            Storage Foundation Enterprise Edition with VR (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT                  SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server 
SFHAENT_EVAL             SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server  (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_GCO              SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO
SFHAENT_GCO_EVAL         SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VFR              SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR 
SFHAENT_VFR_EVAL         SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR  (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VFR_GCO          SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO
SFHAENT_VFR_GCO_EVAL     SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VFR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VR               SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR 
SFHAENT_VR_EVAL          SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR  (EVALUATION only)
SFHAENT_VR_GCO           SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO
SFHAENT_VR_GCO_EVAL      SF Enterprise Edition with Cluster Server and VR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFHASTD                  SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server 
SFHASTD_EVAL             SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server  (EVALUATION only)
SFHASTD_VFR              SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VFR
SFHASTD_VFR_EVAL         SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFHASTD_VR               SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VR
SFHASTD_VR_EVAL          SF Standard Edition with Cluster Server and VR (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT                 SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition
SFRACENT_EVAL            SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_GCO             SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with GCO
SFRACENT_GCO_EVAL        SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VFR             SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR
SFRACENT_VFR_EVAL        SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VFR_GCO         SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR & GCO
SFRACENT_VFR_GCO_EVAL    SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VFR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VR              SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR
SFRACENT_VR_EVAL         SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR (EVALUATION only)
SFRACENT_VR_GCO          SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR & GCO
SFRACENT_VR_GCO_EVAL     SF Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition with VR & GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFSTD                    Storage Foundation Standard Edition
SFSTD_EVAL               Storage Foundation Standard Edition (EVALUATION only)
SFSTD_VFR                Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VFR
SFSTD_VFR_EVAL           Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFSTD_VR                 Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VR
SFSTD_VR_EVAL            Storage Foundation Standard Edition with VR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE               SF Sybase ASE CE
SFSYBASECE_EVAL          SF Sybase ASE CE (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_GCO           SF Sybase ASE CE GCO
SFSYBASECE_GCO_EVAL      SF Sybase ASE CE GCO (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VFR           SF Sybase ASE CE VFR
SFSYBASECE_VFR_EVAL      SF Sybase ASE CE VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VFR_GCO       SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VFR
SFSYBASECE_VFR_GCO_EVAL  SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VFR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VR            SF Sybase ASE CE VR
SFSYBASECE_VR_EVAL       SF Sybase ASE CE VR (EVALUATION only)
SFSYBASECE_VR_GCO        SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VR
SFSYBASECE_VR_GCO_EVAL   SF Sybase ASE CE GCO VR (EVALUATION only)
VCS                      Cluster Server
VCS_EVAL                 Cluster Server (EVALUATION only)
VCS_GCO                  Cluster Server with GCO option
VCS_GCO_EVAL             Cluster Server with GCO option (EVALUATION only)

Rahim_T
Level 3

I read about keyless feature

As I understood with keyless feature everything work, but without any support.

I test the vxlicrep -e on both servers and the result for both of them was:

VXKEYLESS    =  Disabled

Everything is clear now. I know that from the law level I should have two license for two node but if one of them goes down(hardware maybe)

I can replace a new server with the license of correpted server, am I right?

I think this is the last question. :)

Regards

Rahim_T
Level 3

I read about keyless feature

As I understood with keyless feature everything work, but without any support.

I test the vxlicrep -e on both servers and the result for both of them was:

VXKEYLESS    =  Disabled

Everything is clear now. I know that from the law level I should have two license for two node but if one of them goes down(hardware maybe)

I can replace a new server with the license of correpted server, am I right?

I think this is the last question. :)

Regards

Marianne
Yes. You can use current license on replacement server. Licenses are no longer locked to hostid.