Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster Server Manager doesn't show the cluster

Mahmoud_Moussa
Level 5
Partner

I have a two node veritas cluster 

and I have the cluster server manager ( java console ) installed on both nodes 

but suddenly it went not working on one of the nodes I mean when I issue the command 

/opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hagui

the cluster server manager console comes up but it doesn't show the cluster as if there's no cluster here 

as if it doesn't the cluster 

so what are the possible causes for that ? and can I install new cluster manager ( java console ) 

knowing that this is veritas cluster server 4.0 and it's installed on Solaris 8 Machine Hardware Sun Enterprise 6500

so I hope that one can tell me the way this console works and how it engages with teh cluster and get the information and what is the mechanism of the console ? and what are the possible ways in which I can solve this issue ? 

I know it's not major one but I'd like to know its solution and understand it 

Thanks in Advance :)

8 REPLIES 8

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think issue is you just need to recreate connection to cluster.  Don't know why it has lost connection details, except perhaps you are running hagui using a different UNIX username or from the other node than usual, but to recreate, select "new cluster" from File menu and the easiest thing is to just put in "localhost" for hostname, but you can put cluster IP if you want (leave Port and failover retries as they are).

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

When you say that you are triggering the hagui command & the window is popping up ... I don't think there is anything wrong with the package or the command ... I would assume that some one has probably deleted the cluster from configuration that is the reason you don;t see the cluster in list of GUI ...

You can though add it simply by using "new cluster" & provide the fully qualified host name .... you can also install the cluster manager on your laptop or desktop & connect to cluster using similar procedure ..

In short, I don't see any problem with hagui ..

G

Mahmoud_Moussa
Level 5
Partner

thanks a lot for your reply

but do you mean that I will go through new clutser then just add the hostname and this is it ??

so what about installing the new latest updated veritas cluster manager 
can this solve the issue 

or should the cluster manager on both servers the same version ???

Mahmoud_Moussa
Level 5
Partner

thanks a lot for you reply

but what about reinstalling the cluster server manager ???

Is it ok ?? or do I have to have both managers on both nodes with the same version ???

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

Slightly offtopic: "hagui" is a java client to connect to the cluster. You can surely install it on your Solaris cluster node. But it may become handy in case you install the windows cluster manager on your laptop/desktop. You may add just one node of the cluster server or the cluster IP as suggested earlier and that would suffice to connect to the cluster.

arangari
Level 5

you dont need to install the cluster manager on both the nodes. 

the Java GUI is an independent utility to get the view of cluster. 

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

What I mean is, open the cluster console either by triggering hagui or start cluster manager from your laptop (which I would prefer) , add your hostname again by selecting new cluster ...

It is ofcourse advisable to use the new cluster manager version, if you do that on your laptop, for that also, you will need to add your host once agin, then only you would be able to view the host & cluster configuration ..

G

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes you just go through new cluster and then just add the hostname and this is it.

Installing new latest updated veritas cluster manager will not solve the issue as installing cluster manager does not add connection entries to clusters, this is always a manual task.

cluster manager is just a GUI, so it does not have to be at the same version on each node, - it does not even need to be on the nodes - it can be on laptop and you don't even have to install it at all, you can just use the command line.  The version should be higher or the same version of your cluster - i.e you shouldn't use the cluster manager from 5.0 to manage a 5.1 cluster, but you can use cluster manager from 5.1 to manage at 5.0 cluster.

Mike