cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster across VLANs

ash22
Level 3

Can you setup a cluster across VLANs (same site) as long as you've got the appropriate access configured between LANS (i.e. Heartbeats are isolated etc)?

I would like to add additional nodes into an existing cluster, but the nodes reside in a seperate VLAN. There are no communication issues between servers and the cluster also has the security (root broker etc) aspect configured?

3 REPLIES 3

trouphaz
Level 4
I would say it depends on whether or not you need a clustered IP for your application.  If you don't need a clustered IP, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  So, if you are clustering an application that just processes data without needing clients connecting to it or it makes the connections to other hosts instead of vice versa (say like a polling server for a monitoring system), it should be fine.

On the other hand, if you need clients to be able to talk to an application within this cluster, you'll need to be able to bring up that same virtual IP which probably won't work on a different subnet.  I only say probably because I'm not a network admin, so maybe they can figure a way to make it work.  I guess you could also use some sort of dynamic dns so if it fails over you can have all clients talk to just a host name and have dns updated with the new IP on failover.

ash22
Level 3
Thanks. I will attempt to add the nodes and ensure that same applications that share nodes sit on the same VLAN.

Veritas_Veritas
Level 4
I think we can setup cluster across VLans and it shudn't be any problem. just think of configuring a backup Ip resource & Application resources..they most of times are in diff Vlans. & it works fine.

regards,
Munish