Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster startup question

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hello.

For an example if we have 2 nodes cluster and if we shutdown both nodes and if I bring the node1 it shouldn't come up until node2 comes right?

Or I need to do gabconfig  -c0 to bring up right? Am I wrong?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

kjbss
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You query is concerning GAB seeding; please refer to SFHA Solutions 6.0.1: About GAB seeding and its role in VCS and other SFHA products.

In the event that you need to force VCS to start without some of the nodes defined to be part of the cluster, your need to perform a Manual GAB membership seeding on the node that is working. 

Refer to the gabconfig man page for more details, but I am pretty sure that "gabconfig  -c0" is not going to work as it does not conform the the gabconfig syntax.  I thing you generally want to do "gabconfig -cx", after first making sure that there are no pre-existing network partitions.

View solution in original post

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No if both nodes do not come up, then you need to manually seed cluster using "gabconfig -x"

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kjbss
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You query is concerning GAB seeding; please refer to SFHA Solutions 6.0.1: About GAB seeding and its role in VCS and other SFHA products.

In the event that you need to force VCS to start without some of the nodes defined to be part of the cluster, your need to perform a Manual GAB membership seeding on the node that is working. 

Refer to the gabconfig man page for more details, but I am pretty sure that "gabconfig  -c0" is not going to work as it does not conform the the gabconfig syntax.  I thing you generally want to do "gabconfig -cx", after first making sure that there are no pre-existing network partitions.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You are correct in that if both nodes do not come up, then GAB will not seed preventing the cluster from starting (had daemon will still start, but the engine log will say VCS is waiting for GAB membership.

You used to be able to use "gabconfig -cx" to manually seed, but now (since about 6.0 I think) you have to use "gabconfig -x" (which works on previous versions of VCS too), otherwise you get "Gab already configured message".

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you Guys. So, VCS can still come in one node without any manual seeding right?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No if both nodes do not come up, then you need to manually seed cluster using "gabconfig -x"

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

That's is exactly i have expected, but  both node  went down, but when I startup one node VCS is starting on that node without any issue.

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Please ignroe I just checked gabtab and someone to seed only one node.  Thank you for the answer/