cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compasite file sharing issue

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

We are running composite file sharing on windows 2008 and time to time user's can't access to the folders and we need to  bount the service group.

There is no error on engine  or composite log files.  Do  you know what process handles all the shared request come into  windows 2008 servers?

Any specfic event viewer ID I can monitor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mokkan,

It sounds to me like your not really having any issues with the Server itself but rather the name resolution of the virtual server name.  This is just a guess on my part. 

Is your Lanman resource setup to DNS Updates?  If so, do you have DNS scavenging enabled on your DNS servers? 

The Lanman agent has a RefreshInterval that can be configured to allow it to maintain the DNS record so that it is not removed during DNS scavenging processes.  I would recommed trying to set this attribute if you are doing DNS scavenging.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gary_Waterworth
Level 3
Partner

If i am not mistaken the server service in windows manages the windows side of the share connections.

What are the eventerrors that you are seeing from the user and server perspectives ?

Does the resource itself go offline and reonline when the error's occur ?

There are a lot of factors on why a share would become unaccessable. This could be problems in the server service itself to authentication and kerebos errors.

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

If i am not mistaken the server service in windows manages the windows side of the share connections.

You mean SRV services?

What are the eventerrors that you are seeing from the user and server perspectives ?

There is no VCS error on the log files

Does the resource itself go offline and reonline when the error's occur ?

It doesn't .

There are a lot of factors on why a share would become unaccessable. This could be problems in the server service itself to authentication and kerebos errors.

Exactly, I am not sure what is the issue. I believe it is Windows issue. What kind of troubleshooting I can do in Windows level?

Thanks in advance.

Gary_Waterworth
Level 3
Partner

1st get the error that the actual user sees when trying to access the file on the share. That may give some indication of what the problem is. 

2nd have a look through the server system and application logs and see if there errors at that time.

Most of the windows services log through the windows event logging system 

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mokkan,

It sounds to me like your not really having any issues with the Server itself but rather the name resolution of the virtual server name.  This is just a guess on my part. 

Is your Lanman resource setup to DNS Updates?  If so, do you have DNS scavenging enabled on your DNS servers? 

The Lanman agent has a RefreshInterval that can be configured to allow it to maintain the DNS record so that it is not removed during DNS scavenging processes.  I would recommed trying to set this attribute if you are doing DNS scavenging.

Thank you,

Wally