cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring resource dependencies

shaggy62
Level 3

I've read about service group dependencies and think I have a good understanding of parent/child dependency relationships. However I am wondering if it's possible to configure dependencies amongst resources within a service group. Here's my setup.

I have service group: service_prod

In the service group I have four resources:

• Application - app1
  • Mount - mount1
  • IP - IP1
  • NIC - NIC1

I need to make sure that at start time the mount resource is brought online first before the application and then on stop the application is completely down before the mount is unmounted. Can I set this dependency from a VCS configuration standpoint or would I need to write start/stop/clean scripts that use hares online or hares offline?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes, use hares -link to link the various resources. What application are you clustering? The most common applications have agents which already link the resources based on pre-defined logic.

R

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shaggy62
Level 3

I somehow missed resource linking/unlinking when reading the user guide. Looks like all I need to do is

# hares -link app1 mount1

since the IP and NIC resources have that link pre-configured.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes, use hares -link to link the various resources. What application are you clustering? The most common applications have agents which already link the resources based on pre-defined logic.

R

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

Agree to all, hares -link should work for you..

To answer your other question, VCS have bundled agents for most type of resources for e.g IP, NIC , Mount ... VCS has pre-defined online/offline/clean/monitor scripts in place for these bundled agents, so you need not worry for them..

If you are using any specific/customized application, then you may need to create your own online/offline/monitor & clean scripts..

Just a valuble reminder, if you have customized apps & you are making scripts on your own, please note, VCS doesn't understand normal exit codes (0 & 1) ... for VCS 100 is unsuccessful exit code while 110 is successful.. make sure you use these...

Gaurav