Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuity after a failover

yashgt
Not applicable

Hi,

I am new to clustering. 

1. If I create a cluster with 2 nodes and shared storage, and keep my application running on node1, client applications will be connecting to my application on node1. In the event of a failover, when the application starts on node2, will the client applications need to change the IP address to which they were connecting? Or will VCS show a single IP address to the external world so that client applications do not need to be reconfigured?

2. Can I configure VCS to start my application on node2 automatically in the event of failover, without any manual intervention?

Regards,
Yash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kapalin
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello Yash, VCS will show a single IP address to the external world, this is achieved by configuring a virtual IP address on the appropriate NIC and that IP will be part of a VCS resource along with the application resource in a service group, you have to configure the dependencies accordingly i.e. Application requires IP. For automatic failover you should make sure the application resource is set to critical and the node is part of the system list in the application service group. Having said that the application binaries should be present on the node 2. You can get more help from bundle agents reference guide and VCS administration guides. https://sort.veritas.com/welcome/documentation Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kapalin
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello Yash, VCS will show a single IP address to the external world, this is achieved by configuring a virtual IP address on the appropriate NIC and that IP will be part of a VCS resource along with the application resource in a service group, you have to configure the dependencies accordingly i.e. Application requires IP. For automatic failover you should make sure the application resource is set to critical and the node is part of the system list in the application service group. Having said that the application binaries should be present on the node 2. You can get more help from bundle agents reference guide and VCS administration guides. https://sort.veritas.com/welcome/documentation Thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please remember that that a failover service group does not give you 'always on'. 
It gives you failover.

This means that all resources are brought offline on node1 and brought online on node2.
This will result in application being unavailable until all resources are online on node2.

As per above excellent post, if you can configured a virtual IP address in the service group, the users will connect to the same IP address. 
Because of the interruption during failover, users will probably have to reconnect.