cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS in NFS service group

ttouati_
Level 3

Hi,

I need to configure two NFS failover service groups that can run separatelty on a two nodes cluster (VCS version 7.2).

My concern is that I need it to support lock recovery, and in the "Cluster Server 7.2 Administrator's Guide - Linux" Document page 178, I found the following:

"Create a DNS resource if you want NFS lock recovery. The DNS resource depends on the IP resource. Refer to the sample configuration on how to configure the DNS resource."

So my question: is it mandatory to have a DNS resource to get the lock recovery working ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bhoms
Level 4
Employee

I am assuming that the OS is Linux.

For NFS lock Recovery, NFSRestart agent is used. However, for this agent it is expected to use FQDN.

https://sort.veritas.com/documents/doc_details/via/7.2/Linux/ProductGuides/  

From VCS Bundled Agent Guide, Check the section for Notes for NFSRestart agent and you will find below information......

You must provide a fully qualified host name, for example, nfsserver.example.edu, for the NFS server while mounting the file system on the NFS client. If you do not use a fully qualified host name, or if you use a virtual IP address (10.122.12.25) or partial host name (nfsserver), NFS lock recovery may fail.

If you do not want to use DNS then you need to change settings in /etc/hosts and nsswitch.conf files for this agent, as mentioned in the Bundled Agent Guide.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bhoms
Level 4
Employee

I am assuming that the OS is Linux.

For NFS lock Recovery, NFSRestart agent is used. However, for this agent it is expected to use FQDN.

https://sort.veritas.com/documents/doc_details/via/7.2/Linux/ProductGuides/  

From VCS Bundled Agent Guide, Check the section for Notes for NFSRestart agent and you will find below information......

You must provide a fully qualified host name, for example, nfsserver.example.edu, for the NFS server while mounting the file system on the NFS client. If you do not use a fully qualified host name, or if you use a virtual IP address (10.122.12.25) or partial host name (nfsserver), NFS lock recovery may fail.

If you do not want to use DNS then you need to change settings in /etc/hosts and nsswitch.conf files for this agent, as mentioned in the Bundled Agent Guide.

Hope this helps.

Thanks bhoms for your reply,

Your assuption is right, I'm using Linux.

I'm marking your answer as a solution.

Thanks again.