cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS name of primary domain is empty

smart2011
Level 4

Hi,

I'm tyring to install VCS on my test blade servers and having separate domain and network. I'm using Windwos 2008 R2 Standard for all servers.

After running collector utility, i'm getting following error messages,

Active Directory Check

Checks if Active Directory is present

•   Failed
           Reason: Unabled to querry the domain information. The DNS name of the primary domain is empty.

Required:

SFW HA requires the presence of Microsoft Active Directory.

Any idea what is the reason of that. I've checked every thing in Windows and DNS is working fine but not sure what is happening. Appreciate your reply.

Regards./
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
       VIP    Certified

Helo,

as error clearly states, what about Active directory ? is it setup correctly ? VCS has very first  pre-requisite to have ADS setup .. here is an excerpt from VCS admin guide:

Prerequisites
    ■ Verify VCS is installed on all systems. Note that VCS must be installed on
    servers in a Active Directory domain.

G

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gaurav_S
       VIP    Certified

Helo,

as error clearly states, what about Active directory ? is it setup correctly ? VCS has very first  pre-requisite to have ADS setup .. here is an excerpt from VCS admin guide:

Prerequisites
    ■ Verify VCS is installed on all systems. Note that VCS must be installed on
    servers in a Active Directory domain.

G

Zahid_Haseeb
    Partner    VIP    Accredited

1.) As you have said that ""having separate domain and network""  its mean that AD is present in your environment what i have come to know .. So check that your computers on which you are trying to install SFHA have a DNS entry in NIC which locates the Active Directory. 

2.) Check that your computers on which you are trying to install SFHA are joined with Domain Controller/AD.

3.) Check if there is any firewall installed on AD which may stopping the computers on which you are trying to install SFHA.  

4.) Post if there is any error printing in Event Viewer on Computers which may lead us to resolve this problem.

smart2011
    Level 4

that is really strange for me, i've deployed other applicaitons as well and none of them are reporting this sort of problem.

I've checked event viewer as well but couldnt see any error/warning.

Any idea what does it mean"The DNS name of the primary domain is empty."

that problem is on all test servers. i ran nslookup and that is showing name resolution correctly, only VCS problem creating problem.

Any other idea... how can i check either my domain is working fine or not. 

regards.

Zahid_Haseeb
    Partner    VIP    Accredited

that is really strange for me, i've deployed other applicaitons as well and none of them are reporting this sort of problem

May be they dont integrated with AD

Any other idea... how can i check either my domain is working fine or not. 

In win2003 Domain Controller you have five roles of Domain Controller on the same machine and in win2008 Domain Controller you can configure it(Roles) to more than one machine so if you have distributed the roles of Domain Controller to more machine kindly check them all(machines) that are their roles working properly.

Note:

There five FSMO roles are:

• Schema master - Forest-wide and one per forest.
    • Domain naming master - Forest-wide and one per forest.
    • RID master - Domain-specific and one for each domain.
    • PDC - PDC Emulator is domain-specific and one for each domain.
    • Infrastructure master - Domain-specific and one for each domain.