Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk { name for disk} is used by one or more subdisks

solom
Level 4

Hi

I try to delete some of the disks from the disk groups but this error comes

[ is used by one or more subdisks ] .

there are no any mount on that disks or resources please help me .

Note . my veritas is 6.0 and installed on redhat 6.4 64bit .

Regards

7 REPLIES 7

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello .. disk may be part of subdisk or some volume but may not be mounted

check

# vxprint -qthg <diskgroup> | grep -i <disk>

also check

# vxdisk -o alldgs list

above will tell you if disk is part of some subdisk

G

solom
Level 4

I found that the disk is referenced by a volume. The volume is unmounted and stopped, but I cannot remove it. When I issue the vxedit -rf rm command I get the response that the Volume is opened, cannot remove. Any ideas?

Solom

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Are you directly hitting vxedit -rf rm on a volume or on the disk ? Are you sure that volume is not mounted in nested fashion anywhere ? nested mounts can cause mount point or volume to lock.

If above is not the case, try stopping the volume using "vxvol -g <diskgro> stop <vol>" command & then attempt a vxedit -rf rm on volume. Once above is done, take the disk out of diskgroup

G

solom
Level 4

I should have started by explaining what I am trying to do. I am distroying the entire diskgroup because I am changing the configunration of my Veritas enviornement. I managed to remove most of the volumes and the disks from the disk group. The Volumes I am having trouble removing are showing stopped both in VOM and on the command line. Yet when I try to remove them I get and error saying that the volume is opened. The only thing that comes to my mind is that the volumes that are causing problems for me where part of a nested path and I removed the parent volume before removing the child.

Ideas??

Solom

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

If the volume is stopped that shouldn't matter unless OS kernel is holding the information about the volumes are still mounted ..

Worth to try, run  umount -f command on the mount points of the volumes in concern to ensure OS frees up the mount or stuck information & then retry

If above doesn't work, reboot should clear.

G

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please show us output of commands as requested by Gaurav:

# vxprint -qthg 

# vxdisk -o alldgs list
and
# df -h

Mark problematic disk in bold.

PS:
Have you tried to reboot the server?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I m wondering if this issue is part of the same cluster where you clearly have nested mounts:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/disk-groups-stoping 

Please let us know if you have managed to resolve this.

Have you perhaps rebooted yet?