cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Does VCS low pri LLT support configure on a public bond NIC with public IP ?

stinsong
Level 5

I have a problem that to add a low pri LLT with a public bond NIC with public IP on it.

bond0 is a bond of 2 eth NICs and each NIC connecting to a different router, and there is connection between 2 routers. The 2 IPs are in the same subnet, so there is no route issue.

After configure the bond0 as low pri LLT, lltstat shows the link DOWN on the other node from each side:

# lltstat -nvv|head
LLT node information:
Node State Link Status Address
0 server1 OPEN
eth1 UP E4:1F:13:2D:92:3P
eth3 UP 00:10:18:8C:3U:4D
bond0 DOWN
* 1 server2 OPEN
eth1 UP E4:1F:13:62:39:49
eth3 UP 00:10:18:8C:0B:93
bond0 UP E4:1F:13:62:94:05

[root@cdceap1d ~]# lltstat -nvv|head
LLT node information:
Node State Link Status Address
* 0 server1 OPEN
eth1 UP E4:1F:13:2D:92:3P
eth3 UP 00:10:18:8C:3U:4D
bond0 UP E4:1F:13:2D:0E:6D
1 server2 OPEN
eth1 UP E4:1F:13:62:39:49
eth3 UP 00:10:18:8C:0B:93
bond0 DOWN

LLT work on 2nd layer "Data Link Layer",  /opt/VRTSllt/lltping test cannot get through to each other. But arping with broadcast package can get through.

So my question is if the low pri LLT support public bond NIC with public IP ?

I found some notes :

LLT supports NIC bonding
You can configure NIC bonds (aggregated interfaces) as private links under LLT.
LLT treats each aggregated interface as a single link. So, you must configure these NICs that form the bond in such a way that the NICs are connected to the same switch or hub.
Note: If the NICs are connected to different switches or hubs, you must establish connection between the switches or hubs.

So according to the note, LLT only support NIC bonding as private links? Not with public IP ?

Any one has the experience would be huge appreciate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you pointed out yourself, bonds are supported with LLT and I understood your question to be are they supported with low-pri public heartbeats or only hi-pri private links, to which I answered.

I have used bonds and similair technologies " like aggegate" NICs on I think all of RHEL, Solaris, AIX and HP-ux where a virtual MAC address is presented which represents 2 phycial addresses.  I have only actually ever used bonds with low-pri public links as it is better to use the 2 separate interfaces as links on private heartbeats, so the issue is with your bond/network configuration, not that it is a low-pri/public link.

I assume you are specifying the virtual MAC in the llttab file?

Mike

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In terms of support of NIC bonding, there should be no difference between normal hi-pri and low-pri.  Normally (and what is recommended), hi-pri is on a private link as it produces a lot of traffic so you don't want it slowing down a public link and low-pri is on a public link as it only sends a heartbeat (as oppose to hearbeat AND state information that hi-pri sends).

You can easily verify this by removing low-pri from llttab to check that LLT still doesn't work.

Mike

stinsong
Level 5

Hi Mike,

Yes I understand what you said. But the problem is this bond link do not get up. And I don't think it's about hi-pri or low-pri LLT. It's just not work for LLT. 

My other 2 hi-pri LLT links are on private ethX NICs, not on bond. And they are good.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you pointed out yourself, bonds are supported with LLT and I understood your question to be are they supported with low-pri public heartbeats or only hi-pri private links, to which I answered.

I have used bonds and similair technologies " like aggegate" NICs on I think all of RHEL, Solaris, AIX and HP-ux where a virtual MAC address is presented which represents 2 phycial addresses.  I have only actually ever used bonds with low-pri public links as it is better to use the 2 separate interfaces as links on private heartbeats, so the issue is with your bond/network configuration, not that it is a low-pri/public link.

I assume you are specifying the virtual MAC in the llttab file?

Mike

stinsong
Level 5

Thanks Mike. You clear one of my question that bond NIC with public IP work for low-pri LLT.

So my problem goes to why it shows DOWN from another node as you can see from my original output of lltstat. I suspect that is the network link path issue. Since I have the link with 2 routers which configured with firewall.

May be it blocked prot 30 traffic? Because as I know LLT work on port 30. 

But arping get through, yet lltping cannot.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I agree issue is most likely with link with 2 routers which are configured with firewall.  I know very little about layer2 networking, but I know with UDP LLT, a ping and a telnet to the LLT port can work and LLT doesn't and this is because the UDP port is blocked.

Mike