Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMC MirrorView Agent configuration steps/problem

USMAN_ALI
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

Need help to configure EMC MirrorView agent, the environment is Windows Server 2008R2 (Ent.), SFW HA/DR 5.1 SP2

A 2-node cluster on Primary and 2-node cluster on DR, MirroView agent is configured with Service Group but cannot come online. The error is V-16-20048-4 ...  Getting the role, state, condition and update policy for group request failed.

Need an urgent help.

Thanking in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

USMAN_ALI
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Wally,

As you suggested, i find the exact the command syntax from engine_A longs and run it at command prompt, it run and produce the output, now its amazing that if command is running at command prompt then why not from VCS?,

As mentioned in guide, i cannot find CLI.key and CLISecurityFile.txt files, why these are not created?

In engine_A logs, there is another error, V-16-20048-97 : Authentication failed, possible reasons for failure may be...........

Can you tell, where can i define the user and password for mirrorview in VCS configuration (guide said that VCS uses SYSTEM account for communication(A user SYSTEM is also created on EMC Clariion systems).

Pl. guide.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you run the addArrayUser VCS action - see page 27 of VCS agent for EMC MirrorView if you haven't.  I assume you have installed the NaviCLI - you could try running commands manually if you look in the NaviCliHome and see if you can guess what commands are run.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

If you have already run the addArrayUser VCS action and you have the correct array client software installed then you can try running the command as Mike suggested.  I believe the hardware replication agents print the commands being run in the engine logs.  You should be able to check there to get the exact command syntax being used.  Then try running the command at a command prompt to see if you get a more detailed error.

Thanks,

Wally

USMAN_ALI
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Wally,

As you suggested, i find the exact the command syntax from engine_A longs and run it at command prompt, it run and produce the output, now its amazing that if command is running at command prompt then why not from VCS?,

As mentioned in guide, i cannot find CLI.key and CLISecurityFile.txt files, why these are not created?

In engine_A logs, there is another error, V-16-20048-97 : Authentication failed, possible reasons for failure may be...........

Can you tell, where can i define the user and password for mirrorview in VCS configuration (guide said that VCS uses SYSTEM account for communication(A user SYSTEM is also created on EMC Clariion systems).

Pl. guide.

Thanks,

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can look at the action script in \Program Files\VERITAS\cluster server\bin\MirrorView\actions

I have 5.0, but it probably hasn't changed much in 5.1 and 5.0 agent runs:

my $cmd = "\"" . $java_home . "\\java\" -jar \"" . $NaviCliHome . "\\navicli.jar\" -h " .  $LocalArraySPNames[$i] . " -AddUserSecurity -Password $arrayPasswd -Scope 0";

and 

my $cmd = "\"" . $java_home . "\\java\" -jar \"" . $NaviCliHome . "\\navicli.jar\" -h " .  $RemoteArraySPNames[$i] . " -AddUserSecurity -Password $arrayPasswd -Scope 0";

Where $LocalArraySPNames and $RemoteArraySPNames are passed from resource attributes and $arrayPasswd is the password you gave as an argument when you ran the addArrayUser VCS action.

This command is run as the Windows "SYSTEM" user - i.e the user that the "Veritas High availability engine" service runs under.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Usman Ali,

I'm not sure how to create the SYSTEM account on the EMC side.  I know it can be done in the Navi client.  You might need to consult EMC documentation or Support to assist with the creation of the System account on the EMC side.

Thanks,

Wally

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I might be wrong, but the way I understand this is you do not need to create a SYSTEM account on the EMC side.  If you look at http://pnkumaresh.wordpress.com/tag/naviseccli-addusersecurity/ then this says  "-AddUserSecurity command in Secure CLI. This will store the credentials locally on the server in an encrypted file"."

So when you run the addArrayUser VCS action, this action creates a user - not sure what username it uses, but it uses the password supplied.  This user is created by running the NaviCli "-AddUserSecurity" option using the Windows SYSTEM account so that a credential file is created which means the local SYSTEM user (which "had" runs under) can subsequently run NaviCli commands without using a password as the credential file is used.  Did you add an argument when you ran the  addArrayUser VCS action as if you didn't this probably failed and didn't create a credential file.

Mike

USMAN_ALI
Level 3
Partner

Thanks to all for guidance,

can you pl. guide for following for the configuration of MirrorView resource in VCS, may be i missed some thing (i following up the VCS Agent for EMC MirrorView Instalation & Configuration Guide)

1. What steps are needed to perform from EMC side and what from VCS side?

2. When we run addArrayUser from Cluster console (right click on MirrorView Resource, Actions, Select addArrayUser and system and enter a password in Argument), does it create the CLI.key and CLISecurityFile.txt in c:\users\default (win 2k8)? or we need to create the files manualy?

if anyone have experience and can share step to configure mirrorview agent with VCS, i shall be very thankful.

BR