Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

SFHA version = 6.1

OS = 2008R2

Cluster nodes = two(Local HA)

Shared storage = yes

Volume created on shared storage = yes

Query

When I am going to trigger the SQL Server service group wizar, at the time of resource creation, I am getting the below ERROR message.

SFHA_Error.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

Yes, the wizard will try to create cluster resources for the mounts used by all SQL DBs even the TempDB.  As you mentioned, putting the TempDB on the shared (SAN) drive for configuration will allow the wizard to complete and then you can move the TempDB files to the local drive.  The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to manually copy the TempDB files to all nodes where this SQL instance can run (Local and remote.)

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi Zahid,

Did you got a chance to check the 3 conditions mentioned in the error ?

1. Is the required Mount resource mounted ?

2. Is the volume visible ? (I assume answer here is yes)

3. Is Mount resource configured as other resource ?

G

Zahid_Haseeb

Gaurav

When we run the SQL Server configuration wizard all resource created by the wizard. Currently only I configure Cluster configuration wizard and only Cluster Service service group is created.

Volume are visible on the node where I am trigguring the SQL Service group configuration wizard. and I am able to see the volume in My Computer

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So is the diskgroup visable from the other node?

Mike

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you following the steps documented in 'Symantec Cluster Server Implementation Guide for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 ' ? (There is one for 2012 as well) on SORT:
https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/6.1/Windows/ProductGuides/ 

You know my motto by now:

Preparation is key to a successful implementation....

You need to start the wizard on the node where SQL was installed first and all volumes mounted with SQL services stopped. 

Look at Before configuring the SQL service group in the manual.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

It sounds like you have imported the diskgroup on the node and the volume(s) have arrived.  However, with the volume(s) not being accessible in "My Computer" it sounds like the volume(s) may not be mounted.  Go into VEA and try assiging the drive letter/mount points for the volume(s) as needed and then rerun the SQL configuration wizard.

As Marianne mentioned, make sure that you are doing this on the correct node and have followed the guide for install SQL on the cluster nodes.

Thank you,

Wally

Zahid_Haseeb

Actually I was trying to keep the Temp DB on local disk of each node due to a reason.

The reason is actually the temp DB was generating logs excessively when the Temp DB was on SAN drive and the same SAN drive was being replicated. Due to the large amount of logs generation the replication was getting slow. Furthermore these logs was not required to replicate as it clears/removes as SQL Server gets stop. Thats the reason we were trying to keep the same logs on local drive. This is the cause of problem.

This time we put Temp DB on SAN drive. Completed the SQL installation/SQL Service Group configuration wizard. Now we will try to move them from SAN to local disk or on a SAN disk/diskgroup which will not be replicated.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Zahid,

Yes, the wizard will try to create cluster resources for the mounts used by all SQL DBs even the TempDB.  As you mentioned, putting the TempDB on the shared (SAN) drive for configuration will allow the wizard to complete and then you can move the TempDB files to the local drive.  The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to manually copy the TempDB files to all nodes where this SQL instance can run (Local and remote.)

Thank you,

Wally

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks to all. Yes Wally now our plan is to move the Temp DB on local storage on each node.