cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable VCS feature in solaris 10

amitnayak1
Not applicable

Hi,

I installed veritas file system,veritas volume manger,veritas cluster server,storage foundation in a two node environment.

After installtion, i was trying for creating shared disk group.

But i found the following error.

#vxdctl -c mode

mode: enabled: cluster inactive

investigating further, i got following

#vxlicrep -e | grep CVM_FULL

CVM_FULL     = Disabled.

How to enable this cluster feature.

Thanks & regards

Amit

5 REPLIES 5

Venkata_Reddy_C
Level 4
Employee

Are you looking to configure CVM/CFS in your environment? If so, you need to install license for SFCFSHA product on your systems.

Thanks,

Venkat

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

With a 'normal' SF/HA license key, you can create failover cluster service groups where diskgroup will be online/imported on one node at a time.

TonyGriffiths
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

There are a number of disk group types in the SF family that depend on the license and configuration

Storage Foundation Standard & Enterprise allow the creation of "private" diskgroups. Commonly these are used in cluster configurations (VCS). A DG is import node1 and the volumes are accessible by that node. To make the data availkable on node2, the disk group has to be deported (no data access on node1), then imported on node2. A private disk group is only accessible by one host at a time, ideal for failover.

Storage Foundation Cluster File System and SF for RAC solutions allow both private diskgroups and shared disk groups. shared diskgroups are those that are imported on mutiple hosts at the same time for parallel access. Shared diskgroups are acessed when the Cluster Volume Manager functionaility of VxVM is enabled as part of a license key. This is used in conjuction with the Cluster FileSystem component.

So going back to your problem, what is your intent for your diskgroup ? Acces son node node at a time ? or mutiple access from mutiple nodes ?

Hope this helps

cheers

tony

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To clarify:

In WINDOWS you need to create a "cluster" diskgroup using "-s" flag to vxdg (or cluster option in GUI) to enable use in a cluster which effectively disables auto import of diskgroup.

In UNIX you use "-t" flag to vxdg to disable auto import of diskgroup, but this flag is automatically used by diskgroup agent in VCS, so you just create a diskgroup as you would normally.  In UNIX the "-s" flag to vxdg is something completely different to Windows as in UNIX this enables the diskgroup to be simultaneously imported on several nodes so you can read or write to the same volumes from different nodes simultaneously.  

It sounds as though you don't need a shared diskgroup from your opening post, so just create diskgroup as normal without "-s" flag.

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are still not sure if you need a shared CVM diskgroup, then have a look at article https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/diskgroup-types-unix-and-windows

Mike