Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fileshare vs CompositeFileShare

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

I am new to Windows Fileshare and compositeFile Share.  What are the diffrences between Windows fileshare and CompositeFileShare?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct, but you don't have to use Compositefileshare, you can use FileShare - you only need Compositefileshare if you have multiple shares that are not all in one directory and you would prefer one resource rather than lots.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Windows admin team can manage the File Share using windows tools right? why do we need to use Fileshare or CompositeFileShare ?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

FileShare managers one share and CompositeFileShare manages multiple shares.  Note both types can share subdirectories, so you can for instance share out home set "ShareSubdirectories" attribute so that  shares are created for all user folders in home directory.  See bundled agents guide for more information which gives examples:

Example Fileshare (sharing ONE share "ToShare")

FileShare FileShare_SG-FileShare (
PathName = "\\ToShare"
ShareName = ToShare
LanmanResName = FileShare_SG-Lanman
MaxUsers = 100
MountResName = FileShare_SG-MountV
UserPermissions = { "VCSNET\\Administrator" = READ_ACCESS }
ShareSubdirectories = 1
HideChildShares = 1
AccessBasedEnumeration = 1
)

Example CompositeFileShare (sharing TWO shares - share2 and share3)

CompositeCFS CFS-RES (
Critical = 1
LanmanResName = CFS_SG-Lanman
MountResName = CFS_SG-MountV
UserPermissions = { Everyone = READ_ONLY }
ShareSubdirectories = 1
PathAndShareName = { "\\share2" = share2, "\\share3" = share3 }
AccessBasedEnumeration = 1
)

In essence if you only have a few shares, then create separate resources for each share using FileShare, but if you have lots of shares (like 30+), then you don't really want 30 resources, so then better to create one or more CompositeFileshares.

Shares in VCS should only be created for diskgroups that are shared between nodes in the cluster, so on the inactive node you can't create the share using windows tools as the drive and directory will not exist.

If a service group fails, or if you switch manually, then VCS FileShare agents remove the shares from that node and then creates shares on the new node - i.e VCS makes sure the shares are only shared from one node at a time.

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Is there any advantage of having CompositeFileShare in single node cluster? In our environment they set it up in singel node cluster, but I am not sure why they did it.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If the single node cluster is not paired with another cluster with GCO, then I guess you could just create shares manually and not put under VCS control if you have no plans to add another node to the cluster in the future.  If you require all subfolders of a particular directory shared (like home directory) then the VCS agent will automatically share newly create subfolders by default.

Mike

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you very much mike. If I understand correctly,  the advantages of having compositefileshare in single node cluster is that anytime we create the subfolder, it will mount automatically.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct, but you don't have to use Compositefileshare, you can use FileShare - you only need Compositefileshare if you have multiple shares that are not all in one directory and you would prefer one resource rather than lots.

Mike