cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forward Traffic from VCS virtual IP

mrajesh121
Level 2

Hello Experts,

We have a two node active-passive VCS 6.0 cluster running in Solaris LDOM on T4-1 servers.

Two virtual interfaces (Vnet0 and Vnet1)  are configured from the control domain using igb2/igb4.

vnet0 and vnet1 using solaris ipmp. The cluster IP is configured as a virtual IP on top of vnet0 as its comes online as vnet0:1.

Out external connectivity must happen only from Cluster virtual IP on vnet01:1, but the network team informed that no traffic coming from cluster vitual IP.

The firewall only receives the packets from the host IP which was configured on vnet0. Can anyone tell me , how to configure the VCS to forward the traffic from cluster IP to only a particular destination. We have configured the resources using MutliNICB/IPMultiNICB.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I don't believe this is possible, and the limitation is the Solaris O/S, not VCS.  As I understand Solaris will use the first active interface and so as IPMP comes up first when the server boots, this will be the first interface and so this will be the one used for outgoing traffic.  If you figure out away in the Solaris O/S (using routes etc) to use a specific IP for outgoing traffic when you have more than 1 active IP on an interface then you could run the commands in a postonline trigger, but I don't think any such O/S commands exists to do this.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I don't believe this is possible, and the limitation is the Solaris O/S, not VCS.  As I understand Solaris will use the first active interface and so as IPMP comes up first when the server boots, this will be the first interface and so this will be the one used for outgoing traffic.  If you figure out away in the Solaris O/S (using routes etc) to use a specific IP for outgoing traffic when you have more than 1 active IP on an interface then you could run the commands in a postonline trigger, but I don't think any such O/S commands exists to do this.

Mike

mrajesh121
Level 2

Hello Mike,

Thanks much. We tried to add routes using route command in Solaris but still the traffic is going from vnet2.

Really appreciate your response. I guess its the limitation when using ICMP.

Thanks

Rajesh

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The limitation is Solaris as oppose to IPMP - i.e if you were using single interfaces not using IPMP, then the traffic would still comes from the first IP on the interface.  

Mike