cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Clustering TSM with VCS for a DR solution -- opinions?

sapidus
Level 3
Employee

I have a TSM server and storage pool (disk) at my primary site, and I want to replicate the backups and catalogs to our DR site (about 40 miles away) so we can restore there in case this place melts down. 

Does anyone on this board have experience and suggestions on using Veritas Cluster Server with TSM to do this?  TSM can "vault" it's storage pool offsite for something like this, but it requires a 2-step process to get data from the remote "Vault" into the remote TSM storage pool.  I want to avoid this extra step (and extra storage required for the TSM Vault).

TSM is running on Windows (and most clients are Windows 2003, except for a critical Oracle database on AIX).

Also, do I need to use VVR to get the data from primary to DR site?  I'm currently using SVC (SAN Volume Controller) to virtualize the storage and replicate about 8TB to the DR site.  Can I continue to use SVC along with VCS to make this work?

any help appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

Jim_Senicka
Level 3

You need some form of data mobility to get the data from primary site to DR. VCS can manage replication, but it has no replication capability of its own. You could use SVC Metro mirror?

VVR is also an option if you are running Storage Foundation for Windows on your TSM hosts