Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartbeat requirement for VCS cluster

Manish_Bhatia
Level 4
Partner

Hi All,

I need an answer for the heartbeat requirement for vcs cluster for master server.

I have 2 node global cluster for nbu master server (RHEL 6.5) and ops center server (windows 2008/2012), so to configure cluster server, do we need to have seprate heartbeat (interface and IP) or VCS can work without heartbeat IP.

If heartbeat is required, then I would like to know the answers for below :

1) how many minimum heartbeat connections (interface) and dedicated IP required.

2) Heartbeat IP could be on virtual interface

3) after heartbeat do we still need co-ordination disk or CP server also.

4) Also, heartbeat in VCS is required on Windows OS too.

I am also consulting with Symantec VCS guy, but they also have to check, so if any one have any idea on these please help.

Best Regards,

Manish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have a 2 1-node clusters configured together in GCO, then you don't need any LLT heartbeats as you only have 1 node in each cluster so you configure a one node cluster (set ONENODE=YES in /etc/sysconfig/vcs) which means LLT heartbeats will not be used.

Between your clusters you need global cluster heartbeats:

1) You need one global heartbeat and if you only have one node in each cluster I think you can technically use the system IP, but I would recommend a dedicated IP.

2) The global eartbeat IP can be on virtual interface so you don't need an additional NIC and I would recommended you put this on a bonded interface for redundancy

3) Co-ordination disk or CP server are optional and have nothing to do with Global (or LLT) heartbeats

4) All of the above is the same for VCS on Windows and VCS on Linux/UNIX

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have a 2 1-node clusters configured together in GCO, then you don't need any LLT heartbeats as you only have 1 node in each cluster so you configure a one node cluster (set ONENODE=YES in /etc/sysconfig/vcs) which means LLT heartbeats will not be used.

Between your clusters you need global cluster heartbeats:

1) You need one global heartbeat and if you only have one node in each cluster I think you can technically use the system IP, but I would recommend a dedicated IP.

2) The global eartbeat IP can be on virtual interface so you don't need an additional NIC and I would recommended you put this on a bonded interface for redundancy

3) Co-ordination disk or CP server are optional and have nothing to do with Global (or LLT) heartbeats

4) All of the above is the same for VCS on Windows and VCS on Linux/UNIX

Mike

Manish_Bhatia
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Mike.