cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Load while running VCS 5.0MP3

theplum
Level 2

I have a SLES 10 server that runs very hot with VCS running.  What's weird is that if I bring up VCS, with no service groups online, the load is fine, but when I bring up all the service groups and bring them all back down, the load remains.  It will stay that way until I run an hastop.  Has anybody else seen this behavior?

5 REPLIES 5

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

can you give more details..

1. what version of VCS you are using ?

2. what resources are there in service groups ? any specific application or database ?

3. Have you closely observed on when exactly load shoots (after onlining of which resource, load shoots ?)

4. Is it only load or you see shoot up in CPU / mem ?

Gaurav

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to run tests without VCS?

Manually perform all the steps that VCS does - import the dg, mount the filesystems, start the database/application.

Use something like 'top' to monitor cpu and memory usage for individual processes.

Please let us know what the effect is without VCS...

theplum
Level 2

1. what version of VCS you are using ? 5.0MP3

2. what resources are there in service groups ? any specific application or database ?  The applications are all home grown.  We do use Oracle for our DB platform though, which causes the biggest spike to load avaerage on the box.

3. Have you closely observed on when exactly load shoots (after onlining of which resource, load shoots ?)  Yes.  It gradually ramps up after each service group is brought online, but jumps the most when you bring Oracle up.

4. Is it only load or you see shoot up in CPU / mem ?  I see no significant CPU or MEM spike.  It just looks like load increases.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If by load you don't mean CPU or MEM, then what do you mean by load?

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

To me it looks to be a DB stuff.... anything strange noted in alert logs or trace logs of DB ?

Have DBA's checked in detail on what DB is doing when starting via VCS ?

VCS can only online the resource, it doesn't have much control... also you can try to bring the same DB online outside to VCS & see if it consumes the same load ?

Gaurav