Did you mean: 

How is licensed the one node cluster for CPS

Herve_GREGOIRE
Level 4
Partner Accredited

all,

I can't find any information, in case of 3 CPS, do we need :

• a couple of licenses for the cluster with the applications to secure
  • 1 license for each CPS (one node cluster)

regards,

Herve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AHerr
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Herve,

There is a complimentary license to manage a stand-alone Coordination Point Server to ensure that it remains online and available to respond to membership reservation requests.

In your scenario, you can have three 1-node VCS cluster managing the CPS application and it would not require additional licenses but there are caveats to this.

1. CPS is the only application managed within the VCS cluster.
  2. The cluster is only managing the application and is not in a multi-node configuration.

If more than just the CPS application is in the VCS configuration, then you have to license the cluster node.

If the CPS application is in a failover cluster with two or more nodes, then you will need to license all of the nodes in the cluster.

CPS is a great utility to enhance your High Availability environment.

We are publishing an I/O Fencing Whitepaper over the next couple of days which should provide additional details on CPS and fencing.

Regards,

Anthony

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I believe your understanding is correct as it is my understanding that CPS must run in VCS and therefore you need a VCS license for 1 or more nodes (if you want to cluster CPS service) to host you CPS service.  The cluster that hosts CPS can host other applications too - it doesn't have to be purely CPS and it can be on a different platform so you could host it on Linux in a VMWare partition.  Also a cluster hosting a CPS service can be used by many clusters

Note also you can combine I/O fencing disks with CPS so you could have 2 I/O fencing disks and one CPS server.

Mike

AHerr
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Herve,

There is a complimentary license to manage a stand-alone Coordination Point Server to ensure that it remains online and available to respond to membership reservation requests.

In your scenario, you can have three 1-node VCS cluster managing the CPS application and it would not require additional licenses but there are caveats to this.

1. CPS is the only application managed within the VCS cluster.
  2. The cluster is only managing the application and is not in a multi-node configuration.

If more than just the CPS application is in the VCS configuration, then you have to license the cluster node.

If the CPS application is in a failover cluster with two or more nodes, then you will need to license all of the nodes in the cluster.

CPS is a great utility to enhance your High Availability environment.

We are publishing an I/O Fencing Whitepaper over the next couple of days which should provide additional details on CPS and fencing.

Regards,

Anthony

Herve_GREGOIRE
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hy Anthony,

Ok, it's clear, in my case no additionnal license and it's fine !

But when installing this one-node cluster, don't we have to type a license key ?

Regards,

Herve