cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check VCS version and update ?

fabrizio_tivano
Level 3

Dear all,

I've been asked to manage few asymmetric failover win 2003 systems with Veritas Cluster Server installed:

how can i check the current verision and if there was some hot-fix, and services pach installed ?

Thanks in advance and Best Regards,

/fabrizio

10 REPLIES 10

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can get the VCS engine version from

haclus -value EngineVersion

So if this returns 5.1.2.0 then this is 5.1SP2 and if it wasn't a zero at the end then this would indcates RP or hotfixes are installed.  Also, see http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24718

Mike

fabrizio_tivano
Level 3

Hi Mike,

as in my case the command returns 5.1.00.0 it seems the system has never been updated.

and maybe this is the cause of some failures i've found testing the systems.

Thanks a lot!

/fabrizio

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can confirm this by running "vxassist version" and if this returns "5.1.0.398" then this is the "GA" version of 5.1 (initial released version of 5.1 released in 2008 with no updates) of SFW as per link in last post.

Just to clarify, vxassist gives version of SFW (assuming you have SFW installed) and haclus gives version of VCS, but SFW and VCS are normally updated together.

Mike

fabrizio_tivano
Level 3

Mhh i'm lil confused now, this is the results of both commands:

vxassist version

haclus -value EngineVersion

what does it means ?

TIA

/fabrizio

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This is saying SFW is 5.1SP2.  Have a look at the version of "had" daemon - go to program files\VERITAS\Cluster Server\bin in explorer and right click on "had.exe" and check version - is it 5.1.0.126 (5.1 GA) or 5.1.20000.430 (5.1SP2)

Mike

fabrizio_tivano
Level 3

Hi Mike

had.exe version:

...looks  be a (5.1SP2) right ?

why haclus saying  5.1.00.0 if both had and SFW seems to be updated ?

....or maybe i should update haclus engine too ?

thx

/fabrizio

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Not sure why haclus says 5.1.00.0, but I noted that in the VCS Admin guide the EngineVersion for haclus was undocumented for haclus, but it is documented for hasys which says:

EngineVersion
Specifies the major, minor, maintenance-patch, and point-patch
version of VCS.
The value of EngineVersion attribute is in hexa-decimal format.
To retrieve version information:
Major Version: EngineVersion >> 24 & 0xff Minor
Version: EngineVersion >> 16 & 0xff Maint Patch:
EngineVersion >> 8 & 0xff Point Patch :
EngineVersion & 0xff
It is the same on UNIX for VCS - EngineVersion is undocumented for haclus, but documented for hasys, but on UNIX, "haclus -value EngineVersion" gives the SP level, so I would be curious what 
hasys -display -attribute EngineVersion

gives you, but regardless of the output of this command, it looks pretty certain you have 5.1SP2.

The EngineVersion attribute is a system attribute and should not (and probably cannot) be changed manually.

Mike

fabrizio_tivano
Level 3

Ty Mike,

also the command hasys -values NODENAME EngineVersion

retourns 5.1.00.0

I'm just wondering if  that is normal, or most probably should retourn the same

version as SFW and HAD.exe

What your experience say about this ?

During my  tests, i've experienced some strange behaviors like

-switchover failures due to mount or unmount timeout

-active-node services failure when rebooting passive node 

Reading forums on here, similar problems seems to be known and fixed with SP2. 

Maybe  previous updates was not executed correctly ?

Do you have some suggestions ?

TIA

/fabrizio

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you looked at add/remove programs from control panel and this said SP2, then I guess it is possible that it didn't apply properly and some executables were not updated, but the main VCS process is had.exe and this is 5.1SP2, so I think it is unlikely that SP2 is not applied properly.

I mostly install VCS, on a blank system so I don't have cause to run haclus -display much,  but the documention says it should give you the patch version, so either docs are wrong or there is a minor bug.

The Windows Guru on VCS (I use UNIX more than Windows) is Wally Heim, so he may have a look at this thread later and comment on why EngineVersion is not displaying correctly.

For the other issues, these MAY be config issues, so best to start a new discussion for these.

Mike

fabrizio_tivano
Level 3

Ok Mike, thnx for your help!

/fabrizio