cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define local vxfs disk groups as diskgroup resources within GUI

khemmerl
Level 5

I have a two node cluster to be used as an Oracle database server.  Each node has a pair of disks to hold the Oracle binaries.  I have created a vxfs disk group using the command line interface and am now trying to add these to diskgroup resources within the Cluster Manager GUI.  Can anyone explain how to do this?  When I tried to create one diskgroup resource with the vxfs disk groups from both servers, it only allowed one server at a time to access the files.  This is unaccaptable as it prevents me from doing rolling Oracle updates.  Next, I tried creating a diskgroup resource where I specified only one of the local vxfs disk groups but this went into Faulted status when Veritas tried to access that vxfs disk group on the server where it doesn't exist.  Finally, I tried to create a diskgroup resource where I specified the vxfs disk group "Per System" and only entered the vxfs disk group name for one server and left the other blank but Veritas doesn't like that either since when I try to enable it, it generates the error:

Following mandatory attributes for resource Oracle_localdg_bl01 are not specified
- DiskGroup
Are you sure you want to enable it?

Does anyone know who to deal with defining local vxfs disk groups as diskgroup resources within the Cluster Manager gui?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ken,

Binaries can be on local or shared storage, if you put them on local storage, then these diskgroups and flesystems do not need to be under VCS control as they do not failover - they are local to each server.

For failover shared diskgroup containing Oracle datafiles (and optionally the Oracle Binaries), diskgroups and mounts ares defined once in VCS with global (not localised) attributes.  When a node hosting Oracle service dies, the other node imports diskgroups, mount fileystems and starts Oracle.  In this config any one filesystem is only accessed by one node at any one time.

If you want a filesystem to be accessed by 2 nodes at the same time then you need a CFS filesystem and if you want to use this with Oracle then you need the SFRAC product.

Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ken,

Binaries can be on local or shared storage, if you put them on local storage, then these diskgroups and flesystems do not need to be under VCS control as they do not failover - they are local to each server.

For failover shared diskgroup containing Oracle datafiles (and optionally the Oracle Binaries), diskgroups and mounts ares defined once in VCS with global (not localised) attributes.  When a node hosting Oracle service dies, the other node imports diskgroups, mount fileystems and starts Oracle.  In this config any one filesystem is only accessed by one node at any one time.

If you want a filesystem to be accessed by 2 nodes at the same time then you need a CFS filesystem and if you want to use this with Oracle then you need the SFRAC product.

Mike