cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If hanotify can send automatic clearing of traps?

lmiao
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Customer configured NotifierMngr resource with SNMP, the alert messages could be sent to SNMP manager successfully; then customer asked if hanotify could send traps for automatic clearing alerts?

I consider it's up to SNMP manager feature/configuration, am I right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes it is up to SNMP manager to clear alerts as is up to customer what constitutes clearing an alert as supposing a system fails - do you clear alert when:

1. The service groups running on the failed system successfully start on node
  2. When the failed system comes back
  3. When the failed over service groups are switched back to the failed node (this is bad practice to do this)
  4. When the customer finds out why system failed

You can get VCS to send INFO traps (like system back up) to help you determine when to clear alerts, although there doesn't appear be an SNMP trap sent for when an adminstrator clears a fault on a resource or group, so I think you would have to use log trailing if you want to have code alerts being cleared automatically in your event management software.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes it is up to SNMP manager to clear alerts as is up to customer what constitutes clearing an alert as supposing a system fails - do you clear alert when:

1. The service groups running on the failed system successfully start on node
  2. When the failed system comes back
  3. When the failed over service groups are switched back to the failed node (this is bad practice to do this)
  4. When the customer finds out why system failed

You can get VCS to send INFO traps (like system back up) to help you determine when to clear alerts, although there doesn't appear be an SNMP trap sent for when an adminstrator clears a fault on a resource or group, so I think you would have to use log trailing if you want to have code alerts being cleared automatically in your event management software.

Mike

lmiao
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Got it, many thanks!