cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create an active /active NFS cluster split across 2 or more nodes?

Soyer
Level 2
Hi, I currently have a 2 node NFS cluster which has grown to a busy 25 disk volumes/exports in size.  What am now thinking about is the possibility of splitting this into an active/active cluster where I can create the 26th plus volumes on another service group (SG) which I could then run on the standby node (hence active/active).  Of course then in a fail over situation I would then have to run all NFS exports on one node.

The thing is I know that the NFS SG controls the starting and stopping of the NFS daemons as well as the so am not quite sure if this is possible.  Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this one... Thanks, Soyer
3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi

This is possible but you would need to create another SG with another IP (and diskgroup, volume, mount, etc)

I cant see any issues with running to NFS SG's on 1 machine.

Riaan

Soyer
Level 2
Hi but what happens to the NFS daemons which are part of the SG if I were to have 2 NFS groups on one server obviously I can't have both starting and stopping the same NFS daemon can I?  And there is the NFS Daemon restart process to think about two. I can't have two of those in 2 seperate SG on the same server can I?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi,

As far as i remember the NFS service are always on, so it wont matter,

Riaan