cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lanman local setup

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

I'm setting up a lanman resrouce and instead of using the DNS server, I just put the IP addres and host name in the hosts file like unix,  but when I did nslookup, it is not picking it.

I'm running windows 2008R2. Do I need to do any thing else?

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mokkan,

Nslookup is a DNS test utiltiy.  It is used to see if DNS servers configured on the system can resolve a given name.  Since you are not making DNS updates with the lanman resource, I would not expect the DNS server to be able to resolve an entry in the local host file.

To check if the host file is working correctly, try using ping to the virtual server name that you added to the host file.  It should respond if the IP resource is online.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mokkan,

Nslookup is a DNS test utiltiy.  It is used to see if DNS servers configured on the system can resolve a given name.  Since you are not making DNS updates with the lanman resource, I would not expect the DNS server to be able to resolve an entry in the local host file.

To check if the host file is working correctly, try using ping to the virtual server name that you added to the host file.  It should respond if the IP resource is online.

Thank you,

Wally

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you Wally.