cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link between 2 service groups

adoffin
Level 2
Hello all,

I have a cluster with two nodes (N1 and N2). I have a service group (SG1) configured with failover.
I'd like to add another service group (SG2) which ONLY run on the inactif node (ie: where SG1 does not run) and when SG1 switch or failover, SG2 must stop.

What is the best way to link the both service groups?
Thank you for your help

Regards.
Arnaud
4 REPLIES 4

Habeeb
Level 3

Offline Local Service Group dependancy should do it for you, with SG1 as Child and SG2 as Parent

adoffin
Level 2
Hello

Thank you for your answer, I tried this in the simulator and I had the error below when i wanted to switch SG1.

VCS ERROR V-16-1-10207
Group dependencies are violated for group SG1 on system N2

But when I stopped SG2 before, SG1could switch.

Regards

g_lee
Level 6
From what you describe, you may be looking for online remote soft / online remote firm dependency instead. (again with SG1 as child, SG2 as parent)

With this dependency SG2 will only run on system where SG1 is not running; if SG1 fails over onto the node SG2 is running on, SG2 will move to another system where SG1 is not online.

In both cases, SG1 must be up before SG2 can come online. The difference between the two is whether SG2 remains online (on any node) if SG1 faults and cannot come up/failover to any other nodes.

http://sfdoccentral.symantec.com/sf/5.0MP3/solaris/html/vcs_users/ch_vcs_group_dependencies6.html

with online remote soft:
- if SG1 faults and cannot come up/failover to any other nodes, SG2 will remain running

with online remote firm:
- if SG1 faults and cannot come up/failover to any other nodes, SG2 will be taken offline

Note: for purposes of switching you may still need to offline SG2 before switching SG1 as an intentional/manually triggered switch is different to a failover due to fault (which is where the sg dependency comes in).

Hope that helps.

adoffin
Level 2
Hello,

Indeed, switch is different to a failover due to fault, that was my mistake.
I can now continue my test.

Thank you
Regards