cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux LVM volumes in Veritas Cluster

kool
Level 3

Hello All,

I have gone through the “Bundled agent reference guide”.  I understood that Veritas supports Linux LVM2. I would like to create a Linux LVM volume which should be under Veritas control, so that I will get High Availability for the file system.  Are there any documents or references which talks about command line creation of cluster resources/services. Do I need to refer the sample configuration file which is there in bundled agent ref guide.   

I understand that VCS and VxVM is a good combination.  If we have license for VCS, will it includes VxVM license.  How much stable the combination of VCS and Linux LVM. Are there any production rollouts using Linux LVM.  

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can only use vxvm disks for I/O fencing.

Mike

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The problem with VCS LVM agents is support of disk multipathing so some combinations of SF version and Vertitas DMP and 3rd Party multipathing is not supported and it is not 100% clear which combinations are supported - see   https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/using-third-party-multipathing-vcs-lvm-agents , but  I think for 6.0 Linux VCS, DMP is supported, but 3rd party (O/S or array) multipathing is not.

The options for VCS are buying it stand-alone, or buying it as part of SFHA bundle, so it does cost more to have VxVM.

There is a section in the VCS Admin guide called "About administering VCS from the command line", but you just need to use hagrp and hares for the creation of cluster resources/services (with "-add" to add resource/service group and then "-modify" to specify the attributes).

I know customers who use LVM with VCS, but most customers use VxVM so this has a lot more user testing and so I would say is a more stable solution.

Mike

stinsong
Level 5

Hi kool,

For using LVM in VCS is supported and you can configure it like VxVM/VxFS resource in VCS as the sample in bundled ref guide and admin guide.

For the license of VCS usually together with VxVM/VxFS as name of SFHA. They are not include from each other, but are a bundle of product SFHA. 

Using LVM in VCS is ok for function. There is almost no issue as I know. But I think VxVM/VxFS is more powerful and functional than LVM. Don't you agree ? :)

kool
Level 3

Thanks Mikebounds and Stinsong,

I got the things from Admin guide and implemented it.  Yes, I agree VxVM and VCS is a good combination. Support for VxVM and VCS is under one umbrella i.e, Symantec. I perceive, Integration testing of VCS and VxVM has been done extensively when compared to other products like Linux LVM.

One more query, How can we fence data against corruptions in split brain conditions. I believe coordinator disks would do,  for configuring coordinator disks we need to have VxVM. Is it possible to use Linux LVM disks for this purpose.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can only use vxvm disks for I/O fencing.

Mike

stinsong
Level 5

Yes. VCS fencing disk only could be applied on VxVM disks.