Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Volume Manager in combination with VCS

markus_obsil
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

A lot of Linux Distibutions has installed the LVM2 (Linux Volume Manager Vers. 2). Does anybody know, if you can import and deport LUNs with this Volume manager and replace the LVM (Logical Volume Manager) from Veritas? Does the VCS support this?

Thanks!

Regards Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No you don't need VxVM - see release notes (https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1/linux/productguides/pdf/vcs_notes_51sp1_lin.pdf) which say:

VCS supports the following volume managers and file systems:

■ ext2, ext3, reiserfs, NFS, and bind on LVM2, raw disks, and VxVM.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Veritas Volume Manager can be installed along side or replace LVM, although I don't think it can replace LVM on the O/S disks, so if you want to replace LVM, then you would need to install O/S on slices.

VCS agents support both Veritas Volume Manager and Linux Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) - i.e Linux volume groups can be imported and deported by VCS

Is this what you asking, if not, please clarify.

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Veritas Volume Manager can be installed along side or replace LVM, although I don't think it can replace LVM on the O/S disks, so if you want to replace LVM, then you would need to install O/S on slices.

VCS agents support both Veritas Volume Manager and Linux Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) - i.e Linux volume groups can be imported and deported by VCS

Is this what you asking, if not, please clarify.

Mike

markus_obsil
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Mike,

okay, so I do not need to buy an VxVM License. I can do that with the Linux LVM too. Is this right?

markus_obsil
Level 3
Partner Accredited

To clarify my situation. I want to build a 2 node veritas cluster on 2 Red Hat maschines, to run a mySQL service. The DB ist located on an storage system, which is connected via FC. Do I need the veritas Volume Manager or not?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No you don't need VxVM - see release notes (https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1/linux/productguides/pdf/vcs_notes_51sp1_lin.pdf) which say:

VCS supports the following volume managers and file systems:

■ ext2, ext3, reiserfs, NFS, and bind on LVM2, raw disks, and VxVM.

Mike

markus_obsil
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Mike,

great work!

Thanks, Markus