Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate SFHA5.0 MP1 to new hardware

kat1234
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

Due to hardware problem, we would like migrate the whole cluster to a pair of new servers. The SFHA would like to keep to current versions SFHA 5.0 MP1 (Solaris sparc) but the Oracle single instance would like to upgrade from 10.2.0.3 to lastest 10g2: 10.2.0.5.12. I understand the SFHA 5.0 MP1 is already end of support last year, but as company policy & application issue. We must stick on SFHA 5.0 MP1. However I can't find the compatibility matrix for this. Would someone help to comfirm if SFHA 5.0 MP1 can work with Oracle 10.2.0.5.12? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am always amazed when customers are willing to upgrade some of their software, but unwilling to upgrade the underlying infrastructure software....

The assumption is that the Oracle DBs in this environment is mission-critical, hence the need for cluster software, right?

Why would the customer be unwilling to run his mission-critical databases on unsupported volume management and cluster software?

To get back to your query - SF/HA 5.x did not have a SCL - the supported versions were listed in Release Notes and the Agent Guides.

For Oracle, the Agent Guide (http://static-sort.symanteccloud.com/public/documents/sf/5.0/solaris/pdf/vcs_oracle_install.pdf ) says this: 

Supported software

The Veritas High Availability Agent for Oracle 5.0 supports the following software versions in a Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) environment:

Oracle    Oracle9i, Oracle 10g R1, and Oracle 10g R2 (including 64-bit versions)
VCS       VCS 5.0 on Solaris
Solaris   Solaris 8, 9,and 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)

So, if Oracle patch level is still regarded as 10g R2, it may work. 
But no guarantees - Support is only guaranteed with currently supported SF/HA versions.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There are 2 things to consider here for support:

1. VCS - as Marianne says Oracle 10g R2  is supported

2. SF: If you are not using ODM then version of SF is not relevent, but if you use ODM, then "SF for Oracle Administrator’s Guide" says:
    "Veritas Extension for Oracle Disk Manager is a custom storage interface designed specifically for Oracle9i and 10g"

So will probably work, but such an old version of SF will not have been tested against a new version of Oracle, so you cannot be certain.

I agree with Marianne, so I would push to install a newer version of SF.

Mike

kat1234
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks guys. It's still uncertain about the version, but I will try to setup test lab for it

D_White1
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Here's a good link to check database compatibility support:

https://sort.symantec.com/sclcentral/database

There are a few ways to answer your question....  :)

1 - Is it supported?  No, you've already highlighted this in the original question.

2 - Was it testedt?  No, the oldest version I can see qualified in the matrix above is 5.0 MP3

3 - Will it work?  ...............??